Brisbane leaky shower - what have you paid ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dabbler, 24th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi All,

PM got some guy to quote for repair of leaky shower, let's just say the quote was sky high :)

I think is leaking from cracked tiles, but of course waterproofing , if any there, must be shot.

What have you paid to re do a shower ?

Would be remove screen, remove wall tiles, floor not sure but prob re do as well after fully waterproofing area.

2. karmark

karmark Active Member

Hi dabbler...

I have similar issue one of my old unit in Sydney...got quote around close to 2K.

3. dabbler

lol...only a few people done showers......

2k for a unit seems fair possibly, as walls are all brick and concrete, should be easier than 2nd level or veneer places.

Must be a few people at least who have done them in Bris or have contacts for reasonable people who do proper job.

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Done properly 4k.

5. dabbler

I just got an invoice for one in NSW, tiles off wall, re sheet, re waterproof, re tile, not sure what was done to floor, less than 1500

How does anyone justify 4k ? material is cheap, labour is one person .... 4k is not far off doing whole bathroom, and at 4 k, no doubt it looks like a patch up bodge job because they wont be matching tiles for rest of bathroom, right ?

Maybe I am wrong, but am trying to work out how they come to this figure, I feel it is due to them knowing your stuck and not wanting to do this type of work.

I just had a second quote and is near 2k less than one of these brand name companies claiming to fix all showers, I can def say they are a total rip, they said all timber needs replacing, funny how they know that without taking off the sheeting & funny that I already did that not that long ago.

Lot of cowboys in QLD, they do not fix sloppy work either or do things like say no warranty on invoices, I am not sure why PMs throw these sort of people any work at all, makes them look bad too IMO.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

For a brick unit I've had quotes back as high as $8k for a simple retile with new waterproofing.. for a house, over $12k. So I ended up diy (under $2k in both cases).. sorry can't help you with any contacts :oops:

Sackie likes this.
  7. dabbler

Yeah....some are just a joke, must get a lot of takers......

If closer I would do it, but have hands full for now......

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've always done bathrooms ourselves, so have no "full service" contacts except one lot who quoted for our PPOR bathroom at $30k (thereabouts) from memory. I reckon you need a trusted builder and referral would be great, but if you cannot get a name from the forum, maybe put it up on HiPages.

(I put up a job on HiPages a few weeks ago, got two answers, neither of which actually bothered to contact me.)

9. dabbler

Yes, I have had patchy responses from Hi pages for local Sydney jobs.

I will find someone reasonable, sooner or later :)

10. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

It will effectively be a three day job. Any half decent timer will cost you $450 - $500 per day. You can't expect them to do the job on a square metre rate. You may need a plumber, budget $200-$300, tiles glues grouts water proofing rubbish budget at least $500.00, your sitting close to the $2.5k. Get a builder in and they will tack a 30-40% margin on top, followed by 10% protection fee and you should have a reasonable idea of the likely cost of repair.

11. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@dabbler I can totally understand what you are talking about. Had similar issue on a shower over bath. See my post Bathroom without waterproofing...

Builders goes in and quote an price everything new. I had quotations for $5k, and $7k to remove the bath tub, redo the framing (why should you redo it if you don`t know what`s behind), waterproofing, resheeting and retailing. Same story with warranty, waterproofing, and so on, with the complication of the asbestos walls.

Had to fly over, organise for the wall to be removed ($200) and as expected the timber is rotten only in one specific area and probably going to be fixed for $500

My recommendation is find a good handyman and you will see you can save a lot of money. Other solution is talk to tilers, they can warrant the job and usually have their own contacts if you need carpentry done.

12. dabbler

Plumbing is fine, wall timbers done, no prob to pay reasonable people, but some see it as a free for all rich LL

If they had of come back 2 - 2500, would not be a thread

13. dabbler

@Luca yeah, remember I was telling you about how to tackle yours, i however cannot go anywhere for more than a month and does not really need me there is my thoughts, PM should be able to find decent people.....sigh

I have seen behind the wall and the plumbing, tenant is peeved off, if I keep getting ridiculous quotes, I may be forced to wait till i can go and I may even do it myself.....

If it was a shower over bath it is an easier fix. You finished sorting yours ?

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's very much part of a PM's job to make sure their trades are well priced and do a quality job. Good trades are hard to find and I treat them like my most important clients, in a way they are.

I've always been unhappy with the "all in one" companies that specialize in this sort of thing. I've had some good experiences with small builders (the older the builder the better!) but generally I prefer to project manage the different trades myself. It does make it a bit difficult to quote though, so there's a bit of trust involved between trade/me/client.

15. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Not yet as I had massive dramas with the previous handyman who was a lot of talking and pour management and production. I have got few quotes in, they vary from $500 to $1000 so yes, good call on not redoing the whole bathroom.

It is my first reno of my life and it is also interstate...I am bleeding everywhere...ahahah

16. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I also have a similar issue in Brissy's Camira (and living in Sydney). Please let me know if you come across anyone decent. PM is totally useless.

17. dabbler

Nah, not yet, lot of greedy people or big kickbacks going on.

Tenant now causing a headache, maybe they will go and I will fix it myself, I prob should start a business myself.

18. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Oh no @Luca , still haven't got it sorted!? Let me know how it progresses, good luck!

What sort of problems are you having @Meristone ?

19. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@dabbler , I have got mine sorted, around $600, better than $5k asked by the builders. I will post pictures in the other post once completely finished. Unfortunately you need to keep looking until you find the right handyman, it took a while for me, everyone tries to push for the most expensive solution.

20. dabbler

Yes, I find the PMs up there seem to push expensive quotes.