QLD Brisbane IP circa 900K

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by EastCoastCo, 6th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EastCoastCo

EastCoastCo Member

I've been reading lots of threads over the past few months on this forum to research our next IP purchase. We currently have a house in Melbourne (Ashwood) and Sydney (Balmain) and are looking to diversify into Brisbane (like many others). I've been researching and watching the rapid gains in the market and we now finally have our finance ready to go (took some time to refinance and extract equity to maximise borrowing capacity).

Our goal is to purchase as close to the CBD as possible within our budget on a decent size block (400 sq +) and with strong indicators for capital growth. Planning to hold for at least 10 - 15 years.

We are using a buyers agent who has sent us a multitude of suburb profiles which has just added more confusion and less focus to the search. Would love to get some fresh ideas in the current market (lots of the previous threads are now out of date). Appreciate your thoughts/feedback and any local knowledge/tips - this is my first thread post - go easy please ;)

Never giveup likes this.
  2. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

If you are already using a Buyer's Agent - they should be able to provide the clarity you are seeking? If your goal is to focus on strong indicators for capital growth, surely there is a strategy for location selection that your Buyer's Agent has provided to you?

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

What suburbs has your BA recommended?

4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Aspley, Chermside West, Geebung, Mount Gravatt/East/Upper.. will scrape in for 900s, but don't expect a premium prop any more. If its for land hold mainly , then maybe that doesn't matter. Its going be tough, but December is your best opportunity this year.

Best of luck !

EastCoastCo likes this.
  5. Patrick Bateman

December is his only opportunity this year ;)

LP7, gman65 and PinkPanther like this.
  6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I did kind of mean "this year" as up to 12 months from now :D Anyhow, they all best be quick, 13/12 is a whole new world ;)

EastCoastCo, LP7 and Patrick Bateman like this.
  7. Patrick Bateman

Yeah I think it will kick off again in January and put on some more decent gains . Agree next couple of weeks is the best window

gman65 likes this.
  8. Sanka

Sanka Well-Known Member

Consider Wakerley for around 900k. Good proximity to brisbane cbd and the water.

EastCoastCo likes this.
  9. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Why do you say Dec is your best op? Borders opening and surging demand?

10. Patrick Bateman

Bingo

11. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Interesting.... properties are going like hot cakes even in regional QLD.... looking forward to the surge :D

standtall, gman65 and Patrick Bateman like this.
  12. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Pretty much..

Borders open Monday .. I think I read recently there are about 20,000+ people looking to enter, and that may only be scratching the surface. There are literally thousands camping across the border, sleeping in their cars, and have been there for weeks, just waiting. There will be traffic jams, there will be rage as people get stuck with checks, there will be hugs and tears, there will be streams of people heading into QLD next week. It will be chaos.

Most of them obviously are not rushing to buy a property the second they arrive;) but there will be investors (or future migrants) who can now more easily enter and inspect for themselves too. It'll just become much easier.

December may not be a bad time to buy, as most are busy doing xmas things, kids are off on school holidays and keeping their parents busy, but if (big if) there is anything out there who must sell asap, maybe there will be slightly less competition. It's sort of the calm before the storm I think.

Many buyers will have become frustrated in Spring at attending so many OFI's and being unsuccessful, they'll probably take a break now too "oh we'll wait until next year, maybe it will quieten down, maybe there will be more stock on market we can look at"

Because I would say, as things settle in to January and people start returning to work, they'll be thinking about what they want to do in 2022, and for many that will be to buy/upgrade/etc. Rentals are really going to be squeezed hard too.

I'm now selling a prop in Feb (or at latest March) based on this, I was going to sell earlier. I reckon there is maybe another 5-10% (minimum) in it in the first 2 months of 2022 :eek: I could be wrong too :D

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2021
  13. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Your budget is quite low for ‘close to the CBD’ decent sized Brisbane block with good capital growth indicators. I have lost count of people who still have Brisbane hopes based off 2018 prices. That ship has long sailed, returned and sailed again. This is even before southerners’ stampede which is about to begin in about 2 days .. it’s open season in Brisbane!

Have you considered greater western Sydney in your affordability range?

I think Brisbane inner to middle ring capital growth entry price has now moved from $800ks to well over $1.2m plus. May be $1.5m+ if you are targeting growth pickets like LMR zones etc within 10km radius.

$900k would buy you something IP grade a bit west of Campbeltown if you want to stick to Sydney.

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2021
    gman65 likes this.
  14. standtall

I wish .. MGE/MGUpper are a Strathfield (or Chatswood) in making .. I think OP will struggle finding anything close to their budget across MG greater area which is IP grade!

15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Dunno.. this sold for $984k just over a week ago

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mount+gravatt+east-137526610

Actually.. wtf? looks like they are sleeping in their lounge room :D when they have 3bedrooms?

https://i2.au.reastatic.net/800x600...b50e67be4115d5fa5483cf0be55335ea59/image9.jpg

and this for $1.0m 2 weeks ago... nice place and even in Mansfield catchment (bargain):

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mount+gravatt+east-137789018

So if you can find something more run down, maybe needs a repaint or new kitchen or something like that might be able to still get for low 900's ??

Few auctions scheduled for the weekend before xmas - might get lucky?

But yeah, no way am I selling my MGE prop right now :cool:

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  16. standtall

Hold tight - far and few sub $1m sales that aren’t necessarily IP grade .. there are a lot of no go areas interstate buyers don’t know about (flood zones, zoning, low set discount etc etc)

gman65 likes this.
  17. Starthy

Starthy Member

Anyone have any thoughts on Wynnum west, seems to have a lot of potential and still affordable...?

18. TheRons

TheRons Well-Known Member

It is a nice area. Lots of retirees. Always check flood maps.

I was also wondering about Wynnum West and comparing this to the Redcliffe Peninsula.

Starthy likes this.
  19. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

Hey I wouldn't look at Aspley....horrible suburb. What about Gaythorne, Mitchelton, Keperra....Gaythorne 7 k out Mitchie 8 to 9 and many parts of Keperra inside 10km. Quite a few props on 400m plus going for the 900s range. I think these suburbs will have excellent CG in the next 10 plus years as are undervalued in comparison to Kedron/Stafford/Chermside and are frankly nicer suburbs (although Kedron is gorgeous). Inner north west is pretty, leafy, good schools and train line.

20. couq

couq Well-Known Member

what do you mean by low set discount thanks mate