QLD Brisbane Investment

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by balotelli14, 2nd Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. balotelli14

balotelli14 Active Member

Hi All,

Newbie here - just been approved for an investment loan with St George for $400- 490k and looking to buy my first investment property.

Would like some ideal on what suburb i should be looking at. I will be chatting with a few BA this week and next, but i always like to go into those chats with some context and information.

Which suburbs should i be looking at?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What's your budget (assuming it is higher then just the loan)?

3. balotelli14

Total budget is about $500k - Just purposed my PPOR so keen to preserve as much capital as possible

4. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi, in QLD this can get you a property around the Moreton bay region or Logan area.
    You can expect better yields around Logan say purchase price around $330k with a rent return of $380 per week but you will get more capital growth if you got to the Moreton Bay Region but the yields will be lower.

5. MattyB

MattyB Member

AVOID LOGAN AT ALL COSTS.........

6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Well, for 500k you can consider Rochedale South. An idea is to buy next door to an expensive suburb (say camp hill) at a cheaper price (say Carina). Rochedale South is cheaper than Rochedale.

Nathan Prasad likes this.
  7. boganfromlogan

I can see your comment comes from deep knowledge, I am especially impressed with the way a small slogan covers such an extensive area, and such a diverse mix of urban an peri-urban land, valleys, flood plain, and the occasional hill. Why waste letters, and words, why explore nuances and difference. Just lump it all in. Why not add 'don't buy in Wyndham', it too is a label for an expansive area of different places, but not actually a suburb (yes your deep knowledge may be tested here ..... but Logan is not actually a suburb). One of the nice things about places that are bounding the gold coast, scenic rim and Brisbane, is that they can benefit from the broader upswing in the region, and the infrastructure. But don't let that undermine a slogan. Why not 'stop the boats' while you are at it?

Dmarkw, craigc, icic and 3 others like this.
  8. MattyB

MattyB Member

Well with the “typical go to suburbs” they have such poor DSR scores to start with! Long ass DOM and a very high renter % I could continue to list the factors that should say “nope” to an investor, but these 3 say enough for me to conclude for the majority it’s a rubbish location and people need to stop being lured into it by the “great” yields.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  9. boganfromlogan

Believe me there is not a lot of luring going on, the spruikers are promoting low value property a long way North of Bris (where it is hot, and even fire prone). I think quite a bit of the misunderstanding comes from unwisely lumping a diverse region into a table or stat (or slogan). Rochedale South is NOT the same as Yarrabilba ..... in any way.

What is a 'typical go to suburb?'. Is that a Mexican thing?

So a first time investor might want to look at Rochedale South for 500K (535K? not entirely sure of median), versus Rochedale (has it hit $1M yet?). These are the same postcodes, one in Bris (Rochedale) one in Logan. If i was investing 500k i might, like to get a house in Rochedale South, with a yield i like, transport, proximity etc comparable with Rochedale. Cheaper rates in Logan City Council and some potential. genuinely nice place to be :).

10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I bought a property for myself in a great suburb in Logan in 2014. A property two doors down from mine (what I would consider as a strong a comp as you can get) sold last month for 48% more than I paid for it. Considering the gross yield is currently 7.15% on purchase price and started at 6.4%, I'm pretty happy with the total return to date.

- Andrew

11. boganfromlogan

which suburb was 'great' in your case?

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Are you hoping to stick to Brisbane council area or happy to look at South East Queensland on a whole?

13. balotelli14

I am happy to consider anywhere that will give me the most capital growth in the next 5 years. What my options ? I've already spoken to a few BA

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What suburbs did they suggest? And why?

15. simplevalues

simplevalues Well-Known Member

Following this post....below are the suburbs I have been told from several people here
    1. Keperra
    2. Ferny hills
    3. Arana hills
    4. Bald hills
    5. Bracken ridge
    6. Mango hill(furthest out)
    7. Zillmere

To me except for Keperra all others seem nice

John R likes this.
  16. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Stick to the first 3 and #7 and you’ll do well. What didn’t you like about keperra?

17. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

It's hard to get anything in suburbs 1 to 4 for $490k unless you find something in need of renovation or in a sub-par area ie busy road or right on a train line. This doesn't seem to be part of your strategy given your total spend and I'd be asking questions of the BAs who are recommending them to you.

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2020
  18. luckyP

luckyP Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of Woody Point north Redcliff QLD? I am looking to buy IP 2nd row waterfront around 550k. Rent out for 5 years or so then move in to live?

19. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I rate it
    only problem is finding a house that is worth buying
    The housing stock on the redcliffe peninsula is poor to say the least

for 550k i would take a look at sandgate and brighton as well - i havnt monitored any of these markets for a while.though

George Smiley likes this.
  20. luckyP

luckyP Well-Known Member

Poor? In terms of insulation? Weatherboard?

Sandgate, Brighton are not too close to the air paths?