QLD Brisbane investment

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Damarcus11, 11th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Damarcus11

Damarcus11 Well-Known Member

I am interested in this property in Arana Hills, Brisbane. The plan for the house is a buy and hold. It's major drawbacks seem to be distance to train station and buses to city.

Would love to hear some opinions.

10 Blackwood Drive, Arana Hills, Qld 4054

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It’s on the North side :eek:.

I wouldn’t touch it :p.

3. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

I like the hills area for investment and think you are in the right location for a buy and hold.

If you are concerned about transport links to the city why not wait for something similar to come up closer the the stations? Either Ferny Grove or Keperra? There is also a fair bit of development going on at Ferny Grove station and Ferny Hills has a better school catchment than Arana Hills.

Are you going for a lowset home for a reason? Thee are lots of 3x1 double story homes in the same price range that have been converted (generally not legal height).

Also I’d be careful about the block. It’s not worth having 600m2 if most of it is a cliff face are very steep so might be worth looking for something a little more flat.

4. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

That's Surprising, its further away from the Mexicans I thought you'd be all for it! :)

I know the area, don't know the street, but Arana Hills actually has a very high owner occupier % - Quite the family suburb. Its still quite dated but is a suburb full of large homes on big blocks, do some research on the demographics and incomes and you will be quite surprised. A lot of money in the area. Long term play but you could certainly do much worse than Arana hills

5. kierank

That is true but I believe one must have two heads to be a Northsider :p.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

*Dont listen to @kierank, he is just a rich old white guy who is about to retire to the *******' Gold Coast with all the other rich old white guys.

My concern would be the water drainage down the back and potentially straight into the back of your house. Typical for homes in Brisbane on the side of hills. Can you get a building Inspector to test the water flow down the drains behind the house. And check for termite damage, they love timber homes built in that era. The landscaping may be full of termites but the house may be fine.

True about the distance from a train station. The "Hills District" is notorious for beautiful family-friendly homes where you have to drive to the station. I live in there too, it is the only downside.

This is why "everyone" in Brisbane who lives beyond the first 5 klm has a car. Public Transport sucks for most of the suburbs.

kierank likes this.
  7. kierank

The only two things true about the above rant is that I am a “white guy” and about to move to the “Gold Coast”.

The lucky duck likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Poor old white guy, then

kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

That’s more like it :p.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled. @kierank bleaches his skin. He's really a cashed up Mexican on the run from authorities.

kierank likes this.
  11. kierank

I think it’s time we get together for a baked bean dinner, washed down with tequila.

Just so we can “clear the air” :D.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Back to the topic:
    The house for sale close to my home is at the top of a ridge with a very high block retaining wall beneath it at the back. The properties along that section have all had their retaining walls rebuilt to better standards than the old walls and termite infested timber fences treated and rebuilt.

13. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

The biggest negative for Arana Hills IMO is the distance to Grovely Station. Even the lower pocket towards the town center, where the land is relatively flat, is still a decent uphill walk to the station which would suck on warmer days. Still, on that walk you pass some very nice parkland, a decent high school and a TAFE college......

All are pricier than Arana for those reasons. Ferny Hills is currently somewhat nicer and less run down than Ferny Grove but that may change. The nicest parts I've seen of Keperra are all near Grovely Station but comparing apples with apples those parts are themselves more expensive than the two Ferny's.

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2020
  14. Damarcus11

Damarcus11 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input everyone, much appreciated! I ended up signing the contract. First property down.

Footyboy, Codie and Skinman like this.