QLD Brisbane - Investment in Good school districts for CG

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by mkbonline, 19th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I am Sydneysider looking for 1st interstate investment

Budget - 800K to 1.2mil
    Objective - Buy and Hold for 10 years aiming CG @ 7-8%
    Features - Good school district , Large land component, As close as possible to CBD , Brick house, Good public transport link to CBD, Renovation / Future Dev Potential (if buying in established suburb)

Questions

1. Given the recent growth, which suburbs still have value? My limited knowledge and research says - Chapel Hill, Mansfield, Indooroopilly, Chermside West, Clontarf, Ferny Grove, Ferny Hills, Arana Hills and Kelvin Grove

2. Is there a value in using buyer agents ? (given no price negotiation and no off-market purchase)

3. Any recommendation for Buyer agent?

4. Given 10 years horizon, should I consider buying new build in upcoming growth suburbs / closer to new infra like Augustine Park, Springfield instead of old property in established suburb closer to CBD. Which one is likely to offer better CG over 10 years period?

2. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

‘School district’ is such an American term.

Mansfield would be my pick. Mansfield High catchment spans over parts of Carindale, Mansfield, MGE and Wishart. It’s really the most sought after catchment where a freestanding house can be bought in Brisbane (other being Brisbane state but no freestanding houses).

However, buying in the prized Mansfield catchment isn’t going to be easy at this time of the year!

mkbonline likes this.
  3. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

I'd add Kenmore and the Gap to the list.

Some of those suburbs you mentioned could be good buys, but not necessarily because of their schools.

I'd suggest searching domain using the 'school catchment' feature. Not all properties in a suburb fall within the same school catchment and some suburbs may be in a catchment even if the name is different.

mkbonline and Chris Au like this.
  4. impermanence

impermanence Member

Re the buyer's agent, it makes sense to me to spend the money upfront because property is such an expensive one-off purchase and if you make a mistake you will be paying for it for years.

Each to their own though, some prefer to save that money and do the legwork themselves.

I used Allen Wargent for a purchase in Bald Hills earlier this year, I was very happy with the service. Andrew Fried did most of the work for me, and he did a great job IMO. It was good piece of mind to know that someone is acting solely in your best interests during the negotiation process. I ended up securing a property that had about 15 other offers, I highly doubt I would have secured that property if I was doing the work myself.

I live interstate and don't have the connections in the industry, the industry knowledge definitely helped with my purchase. This was purchased in March this year, the market was red hot then and from all reports it's the same conditions now (if not hotter). Using a BA in these conditions makes sense because sellers have the luxury of being very picky, you might not even get a look-in when you are up against 10-15 other purchasers.

It cost about 15k for a BA, but it's a good investment IMO - if you are buying a million dollar asset to be held for 10 years then even a 1% difference in the growth rate can equal 10s of thousands of dollars over the life of the investment.

Rambo likes this.
  5. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

Make sense. I am okay with spend 15k for BA but need recommendation for a good one. I have seen many buyer agents mentioned in this forum Property Zest (Karen), Streamline property (Melinda), Andrew Allen.

6. PricedOutofSydney

PricedOutofSydney Member

I’m using one right now and I’m a sydneysider too. So far I’m very happy with his service. I haven’t found my property as yet but I have been saved from making costly mistakes. Luke from Purpose Property.

7. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Holland Park and areas can get into Cavendish Rd high school which is also highly regarded. Can pick up something closer to 1.2m mark

AJ061 likes this.
  8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

How is your search going ? I would recommend chapel hill or Indooroopilly, but realistically Indooroopilly is out of your budget unless you buy a sub prime property . Chapel hill you will still get something reasonable at the top end of your range