QLD Brisbane inner city good and bad suburbs for growth?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 16th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying possibly in Brisbane, would prefer innner less than 6km from the city, what are the general thoughts on good and bad areas? I am considering East Brisbane, Wollongabba, Spring Hill, Newmarket, Toowong etc.

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

These areas have moved quite a bit an are becoming expensive for Brissie.

Have a look at suburbs 6-9 klms....better value and more potential. Both North and South of the city.....

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree, the 5-10km ring may offer some better value . Inner ring has already moved significantly.

petewargent likes this.
  4. Alex123711

Any suburbs in particular?

5. Peninsula Property

Peninsula Property Well-Known Member

North- Virginia , Nundah, Geebung, Wavell Heights , Banyo, Northgate

South- Mt Gravatt, Salisbury, Tarragindi, Holland Park

West- Kenmore, Jindalee, Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly

East - Manly, Cannon Hill, Tingalpa, Carina , Camp Hill.

Whitecat and KayTea like this.
  6. NewGuy88

NewGuy88 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on Coorparoo or Greenslopes ?

7. RaoulDuke66

RaoulDuke66 Well-Known Member

Pretty expensive, especially Coorparoo. I'd rather keep driving South for an extra 10 minutes. Very little congestion on that road and you'd get way more for your money. The congestion is all from Greenslopes onto the M3.

Shazi likes this.
  8. Alex123711

Will the new train station be too far away from coorporoo to make much impact/ make public transport a better alternative bthan driving

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There are dedicated bus lanes too.

10. Vijju

Vijju Member

11. RaoulDuke66

If the train is running late it skips everything after Morningside. Can be a total pain. Just very expensive area for what it is. But fine if you can afford it.

12. Alex123711

I meant the train station they are building in wollongabba

13. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Brisbane metro? That is not a train. A lot of mexicanos assume that Brisbane is Sydney. If Sydney is building an underground metro than Brisbane metro is also underground train?

I am not being mean, just trying to warn you that what applies to Sydney (or sounds same) does not necessarily apply to Brisbane. Tread carefully.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  14. Alex123711

15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Great suburbs, nothing wrong with buying fewer and better value, long term, most likely caiptal growth may outperform. There is the marco research than micro, where you would narrow down to better streets, eventually property.
    I think you should reevaluate your goals:
    1. What do you wish to achieve from your IPs, in $ terms, how much and when, what asset base in $?
    2. What IP strategy you will follow? Many ways to invest into property. E.g. Houses with land in inner or middle rings of CBD' say within 3 states, with reno potential or subdivision. Or newer townhouses in small complexes but close to CBD.
    I think many people don't advance past 1 or 2 IPs since they are not clear and specific on these 2 questions!

OJJ likes this.
  16. RaoulDuke66

Took many drug addicts rattling around the streets of Woolloongabba during the day and night for my own personal tastes. That's a particular issue within the Brisbane inner ring. I'd be willing to bet that the middle ring will become the most valued over time, given the way housing stock drives demographics.

17. Alex123711

Are there any cities where the middle ring is more expensive than the inner ring?

Tipsta likes this.
  18. RaoulDuke66

Probably most cities in Europe and the USA which are comparable to Brisbane. So Liverpool but not London.

19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

NewGuy88 likes this.
  20. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

Depending on your strategy but if you buy well inside low density residential areas in the 5-10 km radius you’ll do well. I dont think homes in high density areas in the inner ring will out perform those further out in pockets without apartments. This is a big notable difference between the Northside and the Southside. Brisbane southside doesnt have large pockets of low density character residential that is highly likely to remain protected as iconic inner suburbia long term without apartments. On the south close to the city it is mostly, with the exception of a few spots, medium density until the newer post war areas. The exception on the southside is the pocket between old clevelend road and the train on the boundary of Norman Park and Camp Hill. I’ve marked in red on the attached map the areas that I think even in a city double the population it is now will remain low density and close to the city.

Attached Files:

Adi and Whitecat like this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.