Brisbane - how to check if renovation works have been certified

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by RAYMOND, 28th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

    RAYMOND New Member

    28th Jul, 2016

    We are looking to purchase a property in Brisbane. It is a queenslander that has been entirely renovated. The existing owner bought the property back in 2012 and the downstairs were classified as "multi-purpose" rooms which mean they are not of legal height.

    The house has been entirely re-layout since they bought it and they now have a living area, a bathroom and a bedroom built on the ground floor. The house hasn't been raised but upon inspection it looks like the ceiling height are legal (i.e. 2.4m).

    We have talked to the agent regarding this issue and we were told when the current owner bought the place there is a 40cm gap between the downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor board. They have since put in a new ceiling for the entire downstairs area and it is now legal height.

    My concerns are how do you make sure all the renovation works they have done are certified? Is there a way to look this up? The house is in Brisbane.

    Thanks very much for your help.
  2. vbplease

    vbplease Well-Known Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    You don't want to go searching for certification directly, but Building approval. (Building approval in this case requires certification). You can check if the rooms underneath have obtained building approval through council. If you call them up they will let you know which form to fill in. I think the fee is about $120 or so.. they will list every single building approval granted for the property. If the lower level rooms aren't on there, you know they don't have a BA.
    Phase2 likes this.
  3. RPI

    RPI Property Lawyer, Town Planner Business Member

    19th Jun, 2015
    VB is spot on.

    Given the reno's are not that old it would be fair to assume that the owner should either have the approvals or remember the name of the certifier who approved it. I would ask agent that at first instance as it might save you $120