QLD Brisbane house

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Andrew Schweitzer, 27th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andrew Schweitzer

Andrew Schweitzer New Member

Seeking a house/townhouse in Brisbane, river side (not far from city).
    Hoping to stay around the 800- 900k mark.
    Where’s the value at and expected growth ?

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Just at the moment, riverside is quite a bit larger than usual!! The news was showing some places in Toowong, that seemed to be in the river!! Value there?

Seriously Hawthorne Bulimba is always nice. I don't think you can get a house riverside close to city for your budget. Maybe someone can think of something, but i think you would have to go further out.

3. Andrew Schweitzer

Andrew Schweitzer New Member

haha I was just there and wowee, haven’t seen that much rain in my life.
    Consideration to town house or stand alone unit - I’m moving there for work in July. Just not keen on apartments…

4. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

Maybe 800-900 for a townhouse in Morningside... or a bit further out say Cannon Hill

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Get yourself something back from the river but within an easy walk to a ferry station, say on a hill but within walking distance. Or go full brave and buy a second floor apartment close to the river, based on 2011, they should be at bargain prices next month.

6. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

Spring Hill...could probably get townhouse for ~ 800-900k. High on the hill...rarely floods but very close to the Valley and therefore walking distance to the river, Howard Smith wharves etc. Brisbane's oldest suburb and closest one to the CBD.

Or Paddington I have seen some 3 bedroom townhouses for 600-800K and they were good value I thought compared to what houses are going for. Townhouse living is very doable.

7. SE_T84

SE_T84 Active Member

You could try Murrarie or Albion. They won't be absolutely waterfront but close enough. Hamilton still has units in that price range too.

8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Second for Spring Hill, Aughenflower, Paddington and perhaps Ascot. Check flood maps, but these areas tend to be safer (north only usually floods right next to the river or in Bowen Hills).

9. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi I think it'll come down to the finishes you would like to have in your townhouses, you will get in around the north westside (St Lucia and Toowong) but you will need to compromise on the finish, I think maybe consider a really nice townhouse in Morningside, it's a bit further out, but it's still a good location, and you will get a really nice place at that price. With my experience with working with families, I think house trumps location, it's just a balance of location and house, but that is a lot of money to spend, maybe consider a nice apartment, if you can buy right in Kangaroo Point. Always just do your research on the location for flood maps and proximity to noisy roads and surrounding houses.

10. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

With a budget of $800K to $900K you will be priced out of a House not far from the city in a riverside location. Of course your interpretation of "not far from" is not an objective measure so this may mean different things for different people.
    If you are wanting to stay within a 6-7km radius from the CBD you will be looking at a different product type with your budget in a non flood impacted location or not on a main road (compromises on a property do keep the price down - but it makes those properties less desirable as well).
    There are a few locations where you can buy a quality townhouse along the riverside suburbs, of course your budget will determine the size and the location.
    Things to consider include location (ie: land component - which is the most expensive part especially when you move closer to the CBD), property size (eg: 2/3 bed, 1/2 bathroom, 1/2 car), property condition (old vs new or somewhere in between).
    Good luck with your search!