Brisbane - hot or not with my $100k?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by PercyCharlie, 29th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PercyCharlie

PercyCharlie Member

Hi all - I have $100k to put towards a deposit in a property. I'm based in Sydney but thinking about brissy so I get more $$ for my $$. I have an investment property in Sydney and hoping to "diversify my portfolio".

I've read SO many conflicting things about the Brisbane property market but the most recent report I read said that the apartment glut / development has slowed and nearly stopped and the population growth remains steady so apparently demand and real estate prices are expected to grow. Plus the rental yields on average seem to look quite good too.

Anyone got any good intel on the brissy property market and what the future looks like? Would I engage a buyers agent if I don't know the market that well?

Thank you!!

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@PercyCharlie, you need to look at where Brisbane is on the property cycle. Attended a Core Logic presentation last week, which suggested the last peak was 2008/2009 and the market hasn't gone backwards. You would think it will grow at some point given the interstate migration and the investors buying there.

$100k deposit will be able to get you a 600-700sqm decent block north or south of Brisbane - circa $400k to $450k. Established 3-4 bedroom house. If well located, with future zoning and holding on to for when the development happens.

Having a buyers agent on board can help. A number of our clients work with BA's. Unless you aren't time poor and can fly over and do your research as well on where you see growth happening along with making sure you have negotiables and non negotiables noted around what will make a good deal for you.

Gypsyblood, KayTea and PercyCharlie like this.
  3. PercyCharlie

PercyCharlie Member

That's super helpful. Thank you.

Property Twins likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

CBD apartments are not selling well.

Inner city houses are selling very well, prices increasing still and not sure that will slow down greatly..

I think houses in good school suburbs in good location will do very well over the longer term. Buyer's agents are great, especially if you don't have time to do the research yourself.

5. PercyCharlie

PercyCharlie Member

thank you! What are some of the "inner city" suburbs that you would start looking at if you were me? Just 2 or 3 will help set me on my research path. Many, many thanks!

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Depends on what you can borrow with that much.

Bulimba, Norman Park, Seven Hills all have great primary schools.

Sackie likes this.
  7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@PercyCharlie, you've asked an incredibly broad question that's impossible to answer properly without more information. What are you looking for in a property (e.g. strong capital growth, positively geared, fixer-upper, future value-add, future development, inner city, fringe, do you want a 20% deposit or happy with 10%, etc etc).

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Indooroopilly, Taringa , Toowong

Codie, Sackie and Whitecat like this.
  9. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Melbourne and Sydney have seen lot of growth over the last few years. From investment perspective, Brisbane stacks up really well. North of Brisbane (Mortean Bay Area).

Best to involve buyers agent if not familiar with the market.

And 100k is more then enough to secure you property in growth zone of Brisbane with future development potential..

Cheers,
    Jazz Sidana

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Sep, 2018