Brisbane handyman for small benchtop repair

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Yann, 25th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi guys

A tenant has left two small burn holes in a laminate benchtop in my unit in Inner West Brisbane. Would you have a handyman to recommend for the job? I am looking at a quick and cheap fix like filling hole with builder's bog and spray painting black or similar. But not looking at replacing the bench top as the bond will not cover all costs and I do not find it fair to retain full bond from the tenant for the two small holes. This should be a quick 1 or 2 hour job I believe.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      125.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

One solution is to have a piece of stainless steel glued over the top of the burn mark. As you have two holes it may not look that good. The advantage of the stainless steel beside the cooktop is that it gives the tenants a place to put hot pans.

Attached Files:

Joynz likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon you could DIY that.... You'd have to find the right matching paint though (and ensure the paint can deal with heat)

I thought you'd put the stainless steel over the whole benchtop for an industrial look. As it is, that looks amateur imo.... cheap and nasty. Sorry.

4. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

For $20 it looks a lot better than a huge pot burn in the benchtop! The house rented out for $550 a week with tons of applications so it seems there is no issue with it, 7.5% yield on a house 20 mins drive from Brisbane CBD I think it's all good.

craigc, Angel and Joynz like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The OP's burn marks are 2 very small marks, the filler and the right spray paint should suffice. I think the stainless steel coverup would look dodgy for this issue. A huge pot mark though... Different story.

6. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Thanks @Gockie and @My House QLD for the replies.
    Only my agent had seen them so I was not sure how deep or bad they were. Anyway turns out I could only find companies to replace the whole benchtop or resurface it entirely. Or a trady who would charge too much.
    I ended up going there myself to fix it. I had prepared some builder's bog to fill the hole and some hard wearing waterproof paint (oil based enamel paint). The benchtop were fine, it was only the thin plastic laminate layer that got burnt, so it was not deep at all. I applied two thick layers of the special paint and it is not flat and smooth. Paint is matt black so I could not recreate the stone effect, but when looking at the whole kitchen it is not really noticeable. It is a cheap rental anyway; both tenant and agent were happy with it, and I saved a few hundreds dollars (paint was $10 at bunnings).

Angel, Rich2011, wylie and 1 other person like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia