Brisbane - Gold Coast Tax agent

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Nyendanni, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nyendanni

Nyendanni New Member

Good evening all
    Can anyone recommend a good accountant on the Gold Coast or Brisbane please. I have property, family trust, SMSF, PAYG so someone who is structure savy would be best.
    My current accountant is interstate, my last one was late submitting our tax and we were fined, and the previous one retired. I'd prefer face to face, hence Brisy - Gold Coast please.
    I have considered BAN TAX but they have an agent here on the coast and I guess 'agents' concern me.
    I would really appreciate some help here

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Bradley Conn at Business Depot
    Chris Wheatley at Scope Accountants

3. allegria

allegria Member

I'm on the lookout for a new accountant and a friend told me of her positive experience with one and passed me his details. Further in our chat I asked if she had a depreciation schedule for her IP and she hadn't heard of them, and so I presume the accountant didn't ask about it or suggest she gets one. Would that be a red flag to you to stay away or do accountants not make suggestions like that?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its very common. I have seen tax agents who deduct stamp duty over 60 months. Many tax preparers in franchise tax firms have done no more than a short course in how to fill in a form. (then I get told maybe I'm wrong). That process requires someone in the office supervise and review but it likely is done poorly or not at all.

I know when I see a dentist I expect they are a dentist. Not a nurse doing some PT work for cash for four months a year three nights a week. It comes down to the tax firm having a robust quality process. IMO nobody who is unqualified should do face to face tax preparation. But that isn't the actual rule.

5. allegria

allegria Member

I agree Paul. This guy is a chartered accountant though! I shall steer clear

6. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, @Paul@PFI - but finding an accountant who knows their stuff can be hard. Often, we don't know what they don't know, until someone else asks a question like "Does your accountant know about……?".

I see that you're Sydney based - any recommendations for a Brisbane-based accountant who's up to your standard?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia