Brisbane - Fire ant biosecurity zones

Discussion in 'Development' started by OPM, 30th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. OPM

OPM New Member

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am a Sydney based investor looking to buy a property in Brisbane with future development potential and have been researching for a while. I think the inner and medium ring suburbs of Brisbane have great potential. I have just noticed the fire ant biosecurity suburb list. Does anyone no what the cost impacts for demolition and building are for sites in the Fire ant biosecurity zone 2.

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I need to check this - if for no other reason than to find out if it sounds like I'm living in the setting for some futuristic, B-grade, 'invasion'-style horror flick…………….

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

Fire ants are nothing to worry about.. but could be a good scare tactic for negotiating on a purchase?
    If you find any suspicious looking ants, call/email Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. They will send an inspector out, confirm whether they are/aren't fire ants and book in a treatment as necessary. Once treated they will be dead within a couple of days, and you will get the all clear from DAF.

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@OPM, I am no expert but I understand there are some restrictions re: the removal of soil from fire ant areas.

Best to check it out.