QLD Brisbane does NOT look good

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JDP1, 2nd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I wouldn't say that these are the only key factors holding us back, because at this stage our infrastructure both in public transport and private transport (roads) is still more than adequate compared to crowded Sydney and Melbourne. It'll become a problem, but I wouldn't identify it as crippling right now.

That said;

- We really need a new arterial motorway running between the west and north. It's been planned for YEARS and Department of Main Roads already owns most of the property it needs to get started, but they can't seem to actually make it happen. I admit it's an enormous logistical undertaking.

- Infrastructure upgrades need to hurry the hell up and get smart- Why has it taken ten years to widen the Gateway!? And why do they keep resurfacing the perfectly adequate Logan Motorway...!

- Our trains are slow, unattractive and EXPENSIVE. I was lucky enough to live on one of the few express line stops on the line between home (Waterford West) and Uni (UQ St Lucia) the last time I had a use for public transport, but it was still cheaper for me to drive! That includes owning the car, running it and paying for parking!?

If you look at Cityplan 2014, the overwhelming strategy is to build satellite centres ( Ipswich, Logan, Gold Coast, Redland's, Moreton Shire, Sunny Coast, etc.) and intensify land use along transport lines- this includes main roads and train lines. It's a fantastic strategy that keeps the "not in my backyard" Brisbanites happy and cost effectively expands our capacity to absorb population growth. There's just some teething issues with implementation, but when doesn't think happen with lazy government projects?

vbplease and Foxy Moron like this.
  2. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I have recently relocated to Brisbane. Many comments on the shortcomings of Brisbane are spot on, but in defense it also have many bright spots. I just mention some.

The bus system of Brisbane is not bad at all. It is a network that delivers many people to work within 30 minutes to CBD from a radius of about 20 km out. It does this by having bus dedicated carriage ways for a substantial part of the journey. The buses are comfortable and the ticketing system modern. I understand that the metro is contemplated and this will improve transport efficiency incrementally. I think the road network is generally mapped out well outside of the CBD, but somehow it is always choked at rush hours indicating that a mass rapid transit system or its expansion is required.

As discussed before, Brisbane needs more MNC to be based here. It needs to invite more MNCs to be based here, Chinese or others, if the tradition sources of investments prefer Sydney or Melbourne. Brisbane already has a big base of Chinese and Asian residents here. Surely, attracting a few Chinese billionaires to be based in Brisbane is conceivable? Often this is done in concert with institutions of research and learning and the multitude of Chinese institutions available should make jv outcomes conceivable.

Angel, Foxy Moron and melbournian like this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, Brisbane's biggest problem is the small size (relative to pop) of the private sector (especially MNCs). Given their smaller presence in Brisbane, the public sector has had to spur hiring in the past and even now but to a smaller extent as the private sector is picking up the slack and expanding.
    You can see that in most if the major projects planned or are in progress is private led and funded. Brisbane will increase its large foreign private sector base.. It takes time. Patience is key in Brisbane. It will get there progressively. It cannot transition from a country bumpkin town to an aspirational world city over night...Or even over a decade, but they are pushing ahead in the right direction.

Antoni0 and Francesco like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

samiam likes this.
  5. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

The Labor govt has done a good job at increasing the public sector size again after the LNP trimmed it down. But with a large budget deficit and no viable plan by the govt to reduce it, I'm really not sure how the spending can keep going. It's not just the QLD govt, I've to say. Anyway, it would be great if the private sector is driving the job creation rather than public sector.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

Rising property prices will take care of that.

The NSW government climbed out of debt in 2015, largely thanks to the Sydney property market (stamp duty), and to a lesser extent asset sales. Now they've got so much cash they're going completely stupid, with plans to spend $2.3 billion to demolish and rebuild two 17 year old Olympics sports stadiums.

Brickbybrick, pwt and New Town like this.
  7. icic

icic Well-Known Member

totally agree, this money would serve far greater purpose if it was pooled into getting the rail up and running as soon as the second airport is done. Such a miss of opportunity.

Brickbybrick, pwt and mickyyyy like this.
  8. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

Sorry for off-topic, but you can sign a petition to stop this nonsense.
    Stop NSW Government WASTING $2B Rebuilding SFS & Olympic Stadiums
    Sign the Petition

Tom Rivera, Jjjb, Gockie and 3 others like this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Perth eg karrinyup south, Adelaide eg devoren park. Sydney. Mel... All look good.
    ****, even Canberra and Hobart look good.(and that's saying a lot)..
    There is only one place that does not look good, and that is Brisbane. :)

ndpjai likes this.
  10. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Frustration mate

Patience will be rewarded

JDP1 likes this.
  11. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

In my opinion brissy will look a lot better once the glut of apartments have been absorbed. People say it has nothing to do with free standing houses but i believe it does have some affect (obviously some places are affected more so then others).
    Hopefully the glut can be absorbed shortly but we will see what happens, here’s hoping anyways.

pwt likes this.
  12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yup..as in another post above on this thread, Brisbane is all about patience. It's frustrating..because the value seems to be there and also seems to be increasing ( thus potential) based on the developments going on. Developers have seen this potential which is one reason why they have opted to increase supply with new builds. The demand have only partially seen this potential..
    As I said in the above posts, Brisbane in in a state of transition from a Perth type mining reliance to a diversified where other non mining contribute much more $ to local gdp or similar numbers .
    This takes time...the good news is that because it's not there yet, prices are still reasonably cheap in comparison to salaries and price yo salary ratios in Mexico. This presents an opportunity - take it, but the caveat is patience.
    Those who do not have the patience, Brisbane real estate is probably not the best suit.
    Likely, neither will Sydney and Mel be once they get into their region of flatness of growth (then you will likely be hearing similar arguments about those cities).
    My suggestion: forget real estate..invest in basketball cards and comic books...:)

samiam, Sackie, ndpjai and 1 other person like this.
  13. icic

icic Well-Known Member

or bitcoins for that matter ;)

JDP1 likes this.
  14. icic

icic Well-Known Member

For realestate, I will be start to be worried if i can't make any real money in 10 years. We need remember that Sydney investors had to wait for 10 years after the last boom.

ndpjai likes this.
  15. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

I bought a grand worth in September, worth 5 grand today. Kicking myself I didnt drop $10k.

16. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Hahaha hindsight is a beautiful thing isnt it. My brother inlaw mined 5000+ of them right at the begining. He sold it all to purchase some pc hardware upgrade. I wouldn't touch it since I dont fully understand the true value behind it and I really doubt that many of its investors does. The main issue with bitcoin for me is that you can fork it infinitely so you can have infinite number of bitcoin versions although you can only have finited number of coins within each version.

17. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

I really don't understand what you guys are talking about.
    When I checked sold prices in sunnybank, nundah, south brisbane and fairfield area, property price has gone up by min 50% in the last 5 years.
    Why are there so many negative posts about brisbane market?

Sorry. I'm new here. Please be nice....

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They didn't take their sodium valproate this morning.:D

Welcome to the asylum. Sorry forum.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

This thread is satire.

20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

it started out that way, but as i wrote more, i realised some of this is true :)

Tom Rivera likes this.