Brisbane Council - Code Assessment vs. Impact Assessment

Discussion in 'Development' started by evisional2, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

Hi

My land on Brisbane's Low Density Zone has overland flow flood path. If I do subdivision, it requires 300m2 of new lots immunity from flood. There are a few options such as soil excavations, installation of larger stormwater etc. These options are very expensive and hard to achieve.

Alternatively, without subdivision, if I just build multiple dwellings/apartments on the lot, it will require impact assessment instead of code assessment. Council advises that it make take 1 year. I do not care that long as I can rent out the property anyway.

My question is the success probability of impact assessment. Has anyone successfully got impact assessment and what are your experience?

Thanks

2. benofbrisbane

benofbrisbane Well-Known Member

Hi

I would have thought that the overland flow issues will be just as relevant to a multi unit as it would be a subdivision in that it will still have to be deal with.

Yes, I understand that impact assessment or even tricky code assessment you may be looking at 9 months plus.

3. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

multi unit dev only requires floor level above 100yr floor level + 0.5m whereas extra requirement for subdivision is the land above 50yr flood level + 0.3m

willair and A.Butler like this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

when subdividing land then you need to deal with overland flow issues at the land level to cope for a range of possible future building types. when doing multi-unit dwellings then the building is there so easier to deal with hyrdology.

Code or impact is unlikely to make a difference in your instance. If you PM me the address then I will reply with my thoughts through here (sans identifying info)

5. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Hi RPI

Are you Brett from Pro Town Planner?

Thanks

6. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

I didn't get it, since it's Low Density Zone, how can you build multiple dwellings especially apartments on it?

7. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

I agree with Fumid. Assuming you don't own 3000sqm of land (which can be developed for Multiple Dwellings in the Low Density Residential Zone), you won't be able to build townhouses or units on the site, as it is an inconsistent use and would never be supported by Council.

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Missed this one.

He's my brother and we both own it.

melbourne171 likes this.