Brisbane City Council Subdivisions - Edge Cases

Discussion in 'Development' started by Leeroy93, 19th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recent experience of a BCC subdivision DA where the block dimensions didn't quite meet the standard criteria?

For example, 810m2 blocks with only 19m frontage (min 20m required). I've heard from agents that although there is precedence, council are currently hesitant to pass through edge cases particularly with upcoming elections.

2. MattMc

MattMc Member

Our experience recently is that BCC is sticking very closely to the Code. I am sure there are examples out there where they have strayed, however I agree that it is getting harder subject to the Performance Outcomes trying to be achieved in the application.

Leeroy93 likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Recently completed a subdivision and BCC are getting tough on looking at anything doesn't meet code. You'll need an ace town planner on your side if you're to stand a chance.

4. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Hey Leeroy. Is the site in the low density residential zone? You would need to seek a performance outcome for site/frontage width but it would comply with the minimum rectangle dimensions (9m x 15m) so I would be pretty confident in getting this one across the line, assuming there are no other issues. I wouldn't recommend getting planning advice from agents.

Tifoso likes this.
  5. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Hi LJW, yes it is LDR. I think it may be worthwhile having the lot surveyed by an independent surveyor to understand the exact dimensions and any potential issues. The lot slopes approx 3.5m to the side and away from the road, although the back is a nature reserve and a steep gully so I assume stormwater would drain into it as per the current lot. Its unconventional but may be worth further investigation. Minimum rectangle dimensions should be a non-issue and it widens to >20m at the back.