Brisbane city council - dual occupancy

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JRS, 8th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Does this mean that the house must have been 'split' (registered, as two dwellings) pre-2000? I'm sorry, but I really don't know/understand much about how dual occupancy in Brisbane works.

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Yes and the use must have been maintained during that time. PM me the address and I will see what I can find out and then reply through here (sans identifying information)

Angelo likes this.
  3. mike8t1

mike8t1 Active Member

Within LCC council planning scheme, what are the minimum requirements for the 70m2 granny flat? Is there a minimum frontage or land size? Do corner blocks come into play and offer something better?
    Thanks
    Michael

4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Do you know if this is happening @Gockie ?

I have been scouring the Redlands CC website with no luck.

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I thought about just renting it out separately and treating the fine as a cost of doing business. But it was only a fleeting thought - what if there's a fire and someone gets injuried? What if the insurance company says oh you're not covered because that was illegal? Not. Worth. It.

For now I'm renting out the house plus granny flat to a single tenant. The problem is the area our property is in has lots of students and shops, so they are always subleasing them to friends. We had enough trying to manage this ourselves because no matter how much you warn them they sneak someone in there. So we kicked out the last tenants and handed it off to LJ Hooker. I believe the new tenants have sub-leased it AGAIN as I drove by and the place recently and it was chock a block full of people, so I fired off an angry email to my property manager who seems not to care, but at least I now have one degree of separation and regular warnings in writing that will hopefully shield me from any legal issues if the council were to come after me.

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2015
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Unfortunately although they mention it should be considered in a Redlands housing strategy document from 2011 (page 37 of a 288 page doc):

The Planning Scheme Review identified a number of opportunities for improving the
    planning scheme to allow for a more diverse mix of housing in the Redland. These include:

• ensuring the Strategic Framework clearly reflectsthe intent of this Housing Strategy and Action Plan
    • revising the Reconfiguration Code to more clearly reflect the need to respond to identified housing needs
    • revising the Aged Persons and Special Needs Housing Code to allow for greatersite coverage, improved car parking provisions, and investigating the possibility of reducing the levels of assessment in a wider range of residential zones
    • revising the Dual Occupancy, Apartment and Multiple Dwelling Codes to address a range of development barriers including site coverage, mix of dwelling sizes, and car‐ parking and open space requirements
    • revising the Urban and Medium Density Residential Codes to address lot size and density issues
    • revising the Relatives Apartment Code to allow for occupation by non‐related persons.
    However... I think the answer is no, I couldn't see it in the 2015 planning document. :( But a call to council or someone else on this forum should be able to clarify (if calling council that's assuming the person on the other end of the phone line knows something!)
    Screenshot_2015-12-28-00-17-36.png

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  7. Tim & Chrissy

I found this but it's from 2014 and listed Logan CC as having the same rules:

Granny Flats as an investment - Our Blog - Subdivision + Construction Management - Brisbane Australia

I checked Logan CC website and found I can build an Auxiliary Unit which can be separately tenanted (Dwelling House - Logan City Council)

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the whole granny flat idea, for not much more than the cost of building a granny flat I could buy a second property 30+ km's outside Brisbane City

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

if the police get involved in this sort of thing, then there are too many police & that is a waste of police time.

is this what Mr Newman brought you all ? ..... such criminals ....

9. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Been happening since pre-Newman days

10. Tim & Chrissy

Just like all other states, police only go into these situations to prevent a breach of the peace. The enforcement agency would be the council.

Same thing happens with property recovery orders in family law court/AVO matters.

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
  11. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Just reviewing this old thread on Dual Occ's in Queenslander style properties in BCC.

Im looking at a property with 3 bed upstairs, but 2 rooms downstairs a separate entry, windows in each bedroom and separate parking. The 2 rooms downstairs dont fit the height guidelines and therefore have to be referred to as "rumpus" and "multifunction" rooms- are they unable to be rented out separately to the upstairs 3 beds?

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You cannot rent them separately if in the BCC area.
    BCC are very strict on this.
    Marg

RPI likes this.
  13. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply Marg, my backup plan is actually another one with the same set-up within the Moreton Bay Council- any thoughts there?

I reviewed the old Summersoft forum and found these two link re the certifying heights for defining habitable rooms for selling (although this doesn't talk about renting these rooms)
    Legal Ceiling Height QLD
    Requirements For The Legal Ceiling Height In Queensland

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No idea.

But don’t rely on old threads or Internet forums. Rules change. Pick up the phone and call the council of the area you are interested in. A few quick questions should give you a clear idea of what is allowed and what isn’t.
    Marg

Blueskies likes this.