QLD Brisbane Blue Chip Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by 2020 Property Investor, 18th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2020 Property Investor

2020 Property Investor Active Member

Hi There,

Interested to see where people think the Brisbane Blue Chip suburbs are?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you google "Brisbane's blue chip suburbs" that will give you a place to start. You'll get different answers from those north or the river and those south of the river.

And different answers again from those on expensive acreage and those within the inner circle.

It depends on what you are looking for really.

skater likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is where you would have to very careful on Brisbane because if you were to read every week or month on what area's are blue -chip and i only know the south-side from West End out too Rocklea ..
    1..Dutton Park --walk bus to QLD UNI,new school being built everything one needs ,then you break it down on zoning ,sqm's ,river outlook and what will happen over the next five in the air-space above those a market within a market..
    Yeronga would be the same as above ..
    Fairfield
    Highgate
    Annerley

Moorooka..

92 Prior Street, Tarragindi, QLD - Residential House for Sale

25 Blakeney Street, Highgate Hill, QLD - Residential House for Sale

7 Feez Street, Yeronga, QLD - Residential House for Sale

11 Timothy Street, Moorooka, QLD - Residential House for Sale

IMHO..

4. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Perhaps filter on REA.com for sold properties - 400 to 450m2 >$1m. That should be indicative of where the new builds/renovations are selling and in what suburbs.

Elives likes this.
  5. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Traditional northside blue chip usually includes the likes of Wilston, Ascot, Hendra, Clayfield, New Farm, Hamilton etc. Basically any suburb with a median HOUSE price over $1million.

Squeakywheel and Gen-Y like this.
  6. Polymath

Polymath Active Member

It ultimately depends on the classification of "Blue-Chip".

The problem we have is that opinions are generally anecdotal. There are blue chip suburbs in all directions of the Brisbane CBD. For example:

- Most of the inner ring (within 3k from CBD) (New Farm, Tenneriffe, Paddington)
    - North (Windsor, Wilston, Grange),
    - South (Highgate Hill, Dutton park),
    - East (NE: Ascot/Hamilton, SE: Bulimba/Hawthorne)
    - West (Auchenflower/Paddington/Bardon all the way out to Indooroopilly)

I think the study by Deloitte and Tract in late 2019 does shed some light on this topic. More importantly, they also use a larger sample size and rigid methodology to reduce bias and error (I still disagree with the No:1 suburb haha).

Here is a link to the mainstream media article (I did have a link to the actual study but seem to have lost it). Brisbane's most liveable suburbs revealed with a few surprises

I'm sure some will want to point out that there are "Blue-Chip" outlier (not close to cbd) suburbs such as Brookfield (Some of the most beautiful properties in Brisbane), and some will argue the unusually expensive areas around Sunnybank/Robertson but that is completely up to them.

Disclaimer: I have a bias to suburbs close to the CBD and have some skin in the game, I own in the Inner North (~3km to CBD, 4059 postcode) and Inner/Middle South (~7km to CBD, 4121 postcode).

1st Timer, doublebrick and Gen-Y like this.
  7. willair

Quote..
    Disclaimer: I have a bias to suburbs close to the CBD and have some skin in the game, I own in the Inner North (~3km to CBD, 4059 postcode) and Inner/Middle South (~7km to CBD, 4121 postcode).

That's a good balance to have on both side's of the river ..

With 4121,as the new bike way is just about complete along the M1 that will add extra value to that small pocket on the hill facing the CBD as there is about 4 streets on the toohey rd side up from the child care centre that for the last 33 years have gone from a entry price at 80-100 k depending on location land content cbd city facing and ucv's vacant land value and can never be built out are above the one mill mark now..imho don't sell that one..

8. Polymath

Polymath Active Member

Thanks, and I agree 100% that one is a forever hold.

There are some great pockets in Tarragindi! For obvious reasons, that area has good future prospects for example: shifting demographics from retirees to young families (2020 Census should back this up), Transport (Brisbane Metro Stop at HPW station), Great schools (Wellers Hill and St Elizabeths etc) and bikeway as you've mentioned.

I believe there are many properties selling in 4121 that are still undervalued. My reasoning is because there is a large retiree demographic moving to nursing homes or sadly passing. If you can get a three bedder post war on a 24 perch block (607sqm), with a decent cosmetic reno you can get in the vicinity of 4.5% gross yeild, (pretty much washing its own face "neutrally geared") in our low interest rate environment.

With vacancy rates tight at 1.7% ( SQM Research - Property - Residential Vacancy Rates - 4121 ) that's a solid long term capital growth play IMHO.

Codie likes this.
  9. willair

With 4121,as some of those blocks are on above 812sqm's and already split on the title and with 2 street numbers,just the old war service homes are sitting in the middle or off centre on the foot-print and there are still several like that ..
    I know one Lady for a long time and Husband long gone that has a block is set on three titles --3 street numbers and The Son has had to have a quite talk to a very keen young agent who would door knock that street and target the older people in that street with contract in hand while the foot was in the 87 year old door..

10. 2020 Property Investor

2020 Property Investor Active Member

Interesting, thanks for the responses

11. Smee

Smee Well-Known Member

Also, check FloodCheck - FloodCheck Queensland. Select Historical Flood Lines in Map Layers.

The Yeronga property mentioned in previous post did not flood - 7 Feez Street, Yeronga, QLD - Residential House for Sale. There are other properties in this blue chip suburb that did go under. I remember helping with the clean up after 2011 floods. 1974 floods, which were worse, did not reach this property. Since 1974 a dam was built and we haven't seen anything as bad, though 2011 came close. That's because of human error when not releasing water from the dam early enough.

12. V12345

V12345 New Member

Prefer Taringa, Indooroopilly, St Lucia surrounded by good schools, university.