QLD Brisbane bayside (Wynnum Manly)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tomato23, 16th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tomato23

Tomato23 New Member

Hi all, I’m not a local to Brisbane but was looking around at properties and considering moving.

Buying within 10 km to the city with four bedrooms for a new-ish house definitely seems to be out of my price requiring closer to $2m. It’s actually crazy how many Brisbane houses only have one garage or one bathroom despite multiple bedrooms or large blocks.

I was looking at the Bayside and was surprised by the cost when you are that close to the ocean. if anyone could please share their thoughts on the area of Wynnum and Manly, of whether it’s a good place to live and the capital growth opportunity.

Or if anyone has good suburbs to recommend where you can buy a decent four bedroom house for 1.3 million that’s relatively close to the city or great schools.
    Many thanks!

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  2. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Awesome area and not far to the CBD on the train. Nice cool breezes, nice village feel, yacht club is one of the best in Oz, heaps of parks and swimming areas for the kids.
    Schools can be a little rough but i feel like this will change as the demographic of the area is slowly shifting.
    Great potential for capital gains.

Birkdale, wellington point, Ormiston are also really nice suburbs with probably a better demographic. However Wynnum Manly has more potential in the long run

Tomato23 likes this.
  3. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

Manly expensive. Manly West should be fine with that budget.
    Wynumm lots of older houses too.

4. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Ferny / arana hills is on the train line and still get something in the 8 and 9s (a little further than 10km). Nice family friendly areas with good schools.

5. Sanka

Sanka Well-Known Member

I would look at Wakerley as well

6. Daves2074

Daves2074 Active Member

Pete wargent recommending Wynnum recently bodes well.

7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We have purchased 3 in Wynnum - so a fan of the area - but only near the Esplanade.

A neighbour went up for auction before Christmas with only a one week sales campaign period only. We wanted it and had sufficient funds on hand - so was quite confident and organised.

Dropped out when it got to double what we paid in 2015 for the same (actually is a bit superior). Think we may regret not buying as we could have gone higher - but it was beyond what we thought was value and this one was more valuable to us than anyone else.

So - not sure there is still good buying there.

8. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

While a great area, probably not a great comparable to Wynnum/manly as assume water being the main driver.

Although Kedron Brook and Cabbage tree creek may have swollen a bit lately.

9. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

We are finding more and more local families are now working their way from Camp Hill, Cannon Hill up to Tingalpa, Wynnum West, Wynnum and Manly.

We have purchased four properties within the last two months in these suburbs and absolutely enjoyed it. I definitely believe you can still get a pretty good bang for the buck in Wynnum. For $1.3mil you will be able to get a 4 bed 2 bath with a pool roughly only 5 years old.

You have the Wynnum golf course and the Moreton Bay College bringing in high net worth families, You are spoilt with many restaurants and the water only minutes away.

We have also been finding Birkdale and Wellington Point to be really great options for investments and family homes.

My recommendation is to take the time and build some solid real estate agent relationships, alot of property still trades off-market in these areas.

10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Wow. I was told to wear shoes in the paddle pool st wynnum cos of the needles.

Rent there before you live there. Catch the train at night.

Keep an open mind. Ocean front in Brisbane isn't the same as GC or other coastal places.

Manly is OK.

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

12. heartsproperty

heartsproperty Well-Known Member

Just like Banyo, Salisbury and Zillmere, Wynnum and Manly West have their fare share of nay sayers who are living in the past.

They are both great suburbs, close to the city and the ocean, and have a dwindling housing commission population. As another poster said, send your kids to a private school, but I only see huge upside for the market.

Some others are suggesting bayside suburbs in RCC. I would steer clear, a way lower tier of resident, further to the city and industrial areas, and ample space for new greenfield development mean it’s a no go for me.

I currently own in Wynnum, Wynnum West and Manly West.

13. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Yes i would steer clear of South Redlands, only because your getting pretty far out
    However to suggest that Redlands has a lower tier of resident is laughable. Wellington Point and even Birkdale is far more upmarket than Wynnum and Manly West.
    Yes I do see big upside in Wynnum and Manly West but currently it is definitely not a 'tier' above the west Redlands council areas.

Disclaimer, own in Birkdale, spend a heap of time in Manly , Wynnum visiting family

boganfromlogan likes this.
  14. djjk

djjk Well-Known Member

I've been watching bayside very closely. While some of these look pretty premium properties, these are big prices.

This one though, seems like a steal for $747k?!
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-wynnum+west-138193274

Attached Files:

15. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

I bought a 2,1,1 great 70s walkup unit 20 metres from the waterfront with water views right near the manly harbour in 2017 and 5 years later am selling for $250k more! It's been a great little investment, never a day unrented. In as perfect a condition as when bought. Manly is flying.

16. Frannymo

Frannymo Well-Known Member

If you can be patient, you can absolutely buy a new-ish or renovated 4 bedroom house under $1.3 in Mitchelton, Everton Park or Wavell Heights (9-10ish km from the CBD).

Some recent sales to give you an idea:

25 Namatjira Street, Everton Park, Qld 4053 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-everton+park-139835175

42 Lockrose Street, Mitchelton, Qld 4053 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mitchelton-140188339

70 White Street, Wavell Heights, Qld 4012 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-wavell+heights-140240855

24 Taltarni Circuit, Mitchelton, Qld 4053 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mitchelton-140314515

44 Evergreen Street, Mitchelton, Qld 4053 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mitchelton-140066783