QLD Brisbane airplane noise area and The Redcliffe Aerodrome

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by fumid, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Hi just wonder which suburbs is disturbed by airplane noise from Brisbane airport.

Also in Redcliffe, there's The Redcliffe Aerodrome which has flight training from 6am to 22:30pm, which area will it impact?

Thanks.

2. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

fumid and vbplease like this.
  3. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Re: airplane noise at Redcliffe - firstly, the local Aeroclub on Nathan road does not make excessive noise as it is light aircraft only - our daughter took flying lessons at this club hence we have had first hand experience. In relation to the Brisbane airport, flight paths change all the time based on wind direction and by the time they get to Redcliffe they have sufficient altitude to be no more of an issue than anywhere else in Brisbane. Hope this information assists.

fumid and larrylarry like this.
  4. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

5. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Thanks that's very helpful, also i am interesting to take a course as well.
    I assume you live near Redcliffe? I am interested to buy an investment house there, any suggestion for particular suburb or any to avoid?

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

That's a very handy function!

I haven't read the whole ANEF document, but I can tell you airplane noise is definitely audible below ANEF 20. Whatever that is..

Camp Hill has very noticeable airplane noise and it's a fair distance from their ANEF 20 contour which would indicate noise isn't an issue??

Apparently there are noise complaints in Holland Park too.. Suffering suburbs: airport noise revealed

fumid likes this.
  7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Hamilton would have to be one of the worst for noise, right under the flightpath for a northerly landing or takeoff towards the south.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Those inner-city NIMBYs will complain about anything.

gman65 likes this.
  9. NeedMoreTime

NeedMoreTime Well-Known Member

I lost sleep when we first bought a house in Brisbane airplane noise and thinking we paid 10k too much (circa 2002).....then Norman Park doubled in price overnight and I felt better and after a few months don't notice the planes at all :)

gman65 and larrylarry like this.
  10. Yujin

Yujin Active Member

From what I read up about ANEF, it doesn't only indicate whether a resident at a particular location will experience noise or not. Instead it looks at how loud the noise is, how frequent it is and the distribution of the noise across the day and the night to determine the score. It's not a perfect system and I believe it's under review and it at least provide a guide/starting point of areas to flatout avoid. The N contour levels would be a better measurement.

Alternatively you can utilise this which shows the flights coming in : WebTrak and also shows the decibel levels at certain sites while also seeing where the planes fly over throughout the day.

fumid likes this.
  11. montoya

montoya Well-Known Member

Wouldn't worry about the aerodrome. Bought a property on Nathan Rd itself and on our visit up North found it wasn't a drama.

12. 733

733 Well-Known Member

The people at the Aero Club are great and there are some really cool vintage planes that go up such as a Tiger Moth etc. They offer courses re: General Flying Progress Test and Personal Pilots Licence as well. Lovely club.

There are some terrific buyers agents on this forum who can guide your purchase - it is very important to not buy sight unseen as Redcliffe has great areas and rough areas. East of Oxley street is quality homes and a great area, many owner occupiers purchase at Newport as well.

There is a suburb close by doing very well such as Bracken Ridge worth having a look at as well. Good demand, good parcels of land for older homes and reasonable prices.

fumid and HUGH72 like this.
  13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't b be concerned regarding airplane noise in bcc. Yes it impacts the better inner areas like hamilton, kuhparu etc but its not a deterrant for rentability nor cg in yhose areas.

gman65 likes this.
  14. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

But Hamilton quite expensive!

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Similar with neighbouring ascot. ..
    As mentioned above, flight noise has done little if any to reduce desirability of suburbs. Even the A380 over coorparu/camp hill is seen by residents as not a big deal.

16. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

If I move to that area, definitely will be interested to have some fly lessons there!
    I'll have a look at Bracken Ridge, seems very good price there.
    And how about Boondall, and those new station like Kallangur, Murrumba Downs, Mango Hill, , Rothwell and Kippa-Ring?

17. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, in Sydney they do impact at first, but with the increase of the house price, people don't care any more, but it's still very annoying isn't it?

18. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

what's the suburb you bought first?

19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Its a bit different than sydney here. Whilst it may be initially annoying, people get used to it. .and prices have not risen here to an extent where people have no choice but to buy there- quite the opposite..the areas impacted a lot are the more desirable and thus expensive areas and no one has to live there but demand numbers have shown growth which is not deterred by aircraft noise.

fumid likes this.
  20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Buying houses without inspection is discussed here: Sydneysiders buying blind in 'rough reputation' Brisbane suburbs