QLD Brisbane - 850k - CG focus - strategy + pick suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by cfsuarc, 24th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Pick 1-2 suburbs for CG over 10 years

1. Boondall

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Wynnum West

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Riverhills

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Eatons Hill

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Taigum

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Arana Hills

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Ferny Hills

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  8. Completely wrong picking strategy!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cfsuarc

cfsuarc Active Member

I have engaged a BA for Brisbane who provided me with a list of suburbs with key numbers. I am considering a selection criteria:
    - relatively low 20y annual growth
    - relatively high 3-5y growth
    - distance under 13-15km
    - exp yield about 3.7%+

My goal is mostly CG, with a fair yield still.
    I know CG is not something you can predict but..

Question 1:
    Does this equation - _low long-term + high short/medium term recent median growth_ - make sense as a possible strategy to pick a suburb on the way up? as opposed to suburbs that had great growth over a couple of decades but slowed down during the last 3-5y

This criteria narrows down the list (of 40+ subs) to
    - Boondall
    - Wynnum West
    - Riverhills (a touch further out)
    - Eatons Hill (slightly further out)
    - Taigum (hesitant.. been growing less recently)

Possibly also (slightly lower yield apparently)
    - Arana Hills
    - Ferny Hills

Question 2:
    of these, would any suburb be your pick/one to avoid, and why?

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

In my opinion not a great rationale . Blue chip suburbs continue to outperform for a reason . Some less desirable suburbs may eventually gentrify but in what timeframe ? You may have another 20 years of underperformance . Having said all that Wynnum west and eatons hill are worth looking at in my opinion

Sackie, gman65 and PinkPanther like this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

What shocking advice.

Rochedale South is perfect for you. And the rates are lower.

Be careful with ppl that recommend Wynnum West. We once bought there and couldn't wait to get out. Wear shoes with good soles!! Needle proof.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I have to admit I don’t think I’ve ever been to Wynnum west lol. I started driving to Wynnum for work the last couple of years though and it’s a really nice area with beautiful views of the bay and nice coffee shops etc . But yeah I personally wouldn’t buy in any area that’s not bluechip so rochedale south is out for me also , too many undesirables there and I wouldn’t want to buy in an area where one of the key attractions is a rubbish tip .

Hamish84 likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

The shorefront of Manly is OK but like Surfers, Redcliffe etc crime in backstreets is awful.

If u do come out of Ur 5km bubble, and cross boundary into Rochedale S, u will be welcomed with smiles and Logan Love, and it will soon be a $1m suburb!! No needles. If u need a dump don't u go to Browns Plains? BCC have Resource centres(!) in Rochedale.....I don’t know why ppl in Bris put 'resources' in their bins? Where does the rubbish go?

The paddle pool at Wynnum is notorious!! The trains are unsafe!!

CHEAPer rates in Rochedale South.

Sack the BA

6. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Middle ring suburbs 10-15 km. Think Chermside West, upper mount Gravatt, Salisbury ferny Grove

Jellybeans123, LP7 and Sackie like this.
  7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

unless you can prove these filters outperform the market, you'd be better off letting the BA do most the heavy lifting with choosing the suburb. Whilst not necessarily doing any harm, you'd be randomly crossing off suburbs

cfsuarc likes this.
  8. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

If your budget is 850k and you intend on using most of it i would hope you buy something good in wynnum and not wynnum west

This 13-15km ring seems a bit funny, in Melbourne the Western suburbs are looking like they are starting to fall, meanwhile lifestyle suburbs on the bay in the south much further from Melbourne are still going strong.
    People are deciding they dont want to live in average areas just because they are close to the city
    Brisbane doesn't really have any bad areas close to the city which is prehaps where the bias you see on tbe forum comes from. However you would be silly to discount all the other nice areas of Greater Brisbane because you have to catch a train to get to the city!
    Also area i own in is about 25km from Brisbane and up 30% this year, more than a lot of suburbs in the magical 5km,8km,10km, 10-15km rings!

Do Androids Dream likes this.
  9. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

I'd add Chermside/Chermside West and Geebung to that list.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.