QLD Brisbane - 550k - ex housing commission

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sheldrick, 15th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

It's about 10 to 16km from the City, depending on how you measure it.

2. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

Thanks, you've answered my question :)

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Lol - this is relevant whether melb, bris, london, asia etc.

say 40% housing commission suburb --> Redevelop add 30% supply of more housing commmission to 70% housing commision
    --> Median income becomes lower as it has to be affordable (where is the money to push growth)
    -->prices would not move that much

60% housing commission suburb, --> Redevelop 40% of existing stock and sell off 20% to the private owners --> End result is 40% housing commission overall --> new private owners bring new money higher income comes in --> prices move up

4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Have you seen the crime stats?.... Inala tops the list for break ins & criminals within Brisbane metro area..... That doesn't scream "desirable" to me....

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Ipswich is a different city, a city where property is way more volatile than Brisbane. Brisbane tends to have price stagnation, Ipswich goes backwards.

Rich2011 and Sackie like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@Indifference On the other hand, Inala is also next in the firing line for city-circle growth. The prices are still low for all the reasons you just described, but it's being bought up....!

Housing Commission houses are generally built dead solid. Spend a bit of money getting them right and maintenance is minimal. So easy to keep the termites out, easy to deal with soil movement, plenty of character, lovely!

I think the specific area is more important than the fact that it's housing commission. My personal opinion is that almost all the classic housing areas are great picks, not really BECAUSE they're housing areas, more so where they tend to be located in vicinity to the city.
    @Sheldrick do you have access to RP Data, Pricefinder or similar? With a bit of time you can sniff around the area looking for more housing commission (and similar) properties in the vicinity.

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Agree with @Gockie . @G-town if you were playing odds a house for $550k 8-10km from the Brisbane CBD is a much safer bet in my opinion. I think you'd be taking a massive risk personally to buy in Ipswich over keperra for example.