Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Brisbane 2022 action plan

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by JDP1, 4th Jan, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks,a new world city..

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Lot of buzzwords. What do Bribanites think?

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I sort of jumped through but didn't hear him day anything about brisbane

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

If there is something like this action plan for Adelaide and perth for instance backed by some vigor from the business and political community ( eg development of infra, hotels, airports, ports, resi etc) to realise some of the benefits, then I would be more bullish on those markets...don't know, but I don't see much in other ex Sydney/mel/bris/gc markets of this stuff happening. Note also that very little of the above action plan focusses on coal/commodities....not to discount that, but the shift away from singular industries to get a more diversified economy that is sustainable (and contributing more $ to the coffers) is what its all about ...sYDney and Melbourne have shown that already.

6. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I knew Brisbane was now an International City when I saw it named as such on some of the advertising when I was watching the Brisbane Tennis on TV last night. This is just BCC playing catch up. The future is already here.

On a serious note given the decline in Qld's mining fortunes and one suspects decline in agriculture revenue due to off shore interests buying up (not wanting to sound too Pauline Hanson here as I'm aware that previously much of our cattle properties were foreign owned by the poms and the yanks however many of them didn't own them as part of the multi level integrated supply chain game) Brisbane will need to find another niche to draw revenue from- tourism will not be enough so the future plan will hopefully amount to something.

I still think property prices will increase for the shot term- 1-2 years before correcting but I will defer to Sash's view on this.

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

CTRL + F "Granny Flats", no results.

*shrugs*

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

If granny flats were mentioned as a strategic imperative in the above report, then I would have left the city, immediately:)

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

How else are we going to get that Logan feel? I suppose a few empty beer cans is the more pragmatic solution.

10. RPI

RPI Property Lawyer, Town Planner Business Member

Lots of Jargon, not much in the way of detail. Not really a plan more like a vision statement.

Whitecat likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

From a person like myself who grew up in Brisbane,back in the 1970's when if you went passed GMH factory at Acacia Ridge,you went into small block hobby farms,now look all the way development all the way too NSW ,maybe with the Commonwealth Games the next 3 years may be like what western Sydney and other areas within those areas was like the past 3 years..imho..

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yeah perhaps...but at least they are putting their money where their mouth is and getting stuff done- as can be evidenced by the amount of construction going on...and a lot of it is courting foreign investors to put their money to build- hence Brisbane's standing in the direct foreign investment tables recently ( there was another post on this).

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And a Commodore up on bricks for every front lawn.

14. Whitecat

They need to get the balance right. Throwing up thousands of 2 bed (one bed with no window, no windows in baths) apartments and not making any new green public places. They are making the place too concrety and in shadows.
    They talk about bne as a conference destination - well people like a nice environment for that.
    Here's a photo taken right this second. I count 17 cranes all building apartments in South Brisbane/West End (2 are out of shot).

I'm not against density but I wish council wouldn't just approve them each time without considering cumulative impact and creating genuine and nice public spaces.
    We should look at europe.
    A lot could be done with the Bne River. It's all Bne has. Only one candidate talking about plantings and river restoration (Greens) but yet it makes good business sense

Bne needs to sort out its aesthetics and is easier to do that sooner rather than later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2016
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What was the Sir Joh quote about how many cranes you can see on the horizon?
    Good for the economy, not good for apartment values though.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

King George Square is ugly as

Whitecat likes this.
  17. Whitecat

Is 2016 we can build much better more sustainable and liveable and still keep building. Our architecture and engineering is pretty old school.

18. Whitecat

99% of people in bne hate it. You should Google some photos of the 80s it was really nice.
    But that's this council. No clue about Green space. I like bne but it has the ugliest cbd I've ever worked in. No nice green space.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Gotta love those old concrete buildings in the city.
    They really have aged well, should be more of it.

20. Whitecat

I disagree. We can do much more with green walls and so on now. Europeans do it