Brick X on Lateline, own Property for $100

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Gonx, 1st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

Did you hear them mention the "other companies in the Fractional Property space - Domacom" - but then forgot to disclose their relationship...

Empower Wealth Residential Model Portfolios | DomaCom Ltd

Side note - Domacom is listed on ASX - and it's all been downhill. 40c in Nov 2016 down to 14c. Ouch!

2. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

They mentioned Domacom about 3 times, interestingvthat they didn't disclose. I had a quick look - bigger buy in, bigger fees and I wasn't a big fan of the properties.

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am with you. I would rather buy into a REIT than something like BrickX.

For example, I own "bricks" in a Childcare Centre REIT which owns around 200 childcare centres across Australia, total value around $500M, total annual compound return for last three years over 33% pa, 100% occupancy, average lease nearly 10 years, ...

Current cost of a "brick" is around $2.10 each.

For both our children, we used their child endowment money to buy shares in Westfield Shopping centres. Now, over 30 years later, both of our kids still own these shares.

Angel13 likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Childcare seems to be a booming industry. ... along with aged care facilities and nursing homes.

Not advice.

kierank likes this.
  5. kierank

When I was in business, I had a business colleague who was the CEO of an organisation who owned and operated multiple childcare centres.

I always thought buying a childcare centre would be a good addition to our business and property portfolios.

Never got around to it. Instead we bought into a REIT and now a share of 196 childcare centres :) :).

Dean Collins likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

ABC Learning? :p

Danyool and kierank like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I wonder what's going to happen when the market drops and everyone's bricks are worth less than they paid for them but they can't sell because nobody wants to purchase their brick on the after-market?

From what I understand so far (I admit that's based mostly on what I've read here), the illiquid nature of this type of structure is concerning - especially to inexperienced investors.

It's all rainbows and unicorns when the market is growing, but when the market drops and property is very much out of favour as an investment, what will the implications be for those left holding assets they can't liquidate?

Sure, having $500 exposed isn't going to cause undue financial stress if the proverbial hits the proverbial ... but my rule for assessing any strategy for risk is to try adding a few zeros to the end of the numbers being discussed and see whether it still works at that scale.

larrylarry and kierank like this.
  8. kierank

Arena REIT

9. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Someone will start buying them based on yield.....

Danyool likes this.
  10. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I looked into it last year (was thinking about buying some for nephew and niece to get them interested in educating themselves about inflation and interest and yields etc.....turns out you cant as both under 18).

My only issue with them was that you seemed to pay over the norm for PM services etc....for multiple properties etc they should be able to organize better than market rates.....instead they are paying over market rates (wonder about mates rates etc).

But apart from that structure etc are well put together and apart from opaque purchasing methods they are buying a good cross selection of properties so you could "do worse" while building up your capital for buying your own.

11. Danyool

Yes, rather forgetful of them.

I couldn't see much on Domacom on my quick look - not even the properties. Did you sign up to see that? Seemed more of a wholesale type arrangement that Financial Advisor would sell, rather than individual focus of Brickx.

12. Danyool

Their PM fees are 6% - don't think it's too over the top. Currently they only have 7 properties, but in different suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne so I would think a little difficult to negotiate a bulk discount. Maybe later they could.

Dean Collins likes this.
  13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I imagine it would be a similar scenario to a small commercial REIT in a share market crash. I'd say all the more reason to get a coalition of majority ownership to vote to sell it out etc when the time is right.

I'd be more worried about the usual IP things like trashed property, tenants not paying etc - and how quickly these get acted on.

Question to @Danyool and @Angel13
    Does a major repair/reno work need a majority vote?
    eg - let's say a new kitchen *might* get better rent etc, or where installing a new aircon could improve rental?

The Y-man

Gonx likes this.
  14. splatters

this link is to a table of "Fund names" but i can only assume that the addresses in the table are those of many of the investment properties
    DomaCom Fund Unit Prices | DomaCom Ltd

15. splatters

wow - has anyone been watching the brickx prices? over the past week the number of investors has gone up by over 25% (from 3200 to 4300) and in the past few days with all the publicity, 4 of the 7 properties now have an available brick price between 3-27% above the valuation. people are seriously buying bricks in double bay at a 27.3% premium!

Danyool likes this.
  16. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

So if you buy a brick for $100 but later decide to sell it for whatever, say $120, you have to also pay $400+ fees? I'm sure I read that on this thread but can't see it now?

17. splatters

no it's a flat fee of 1.75% for each transaction, either buy or sell

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Tulips...

Dean Collins likes this.
  19. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great investment Kierank. I always learn valuable things on this forum

kierank likes this.
  20. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

I know I can see some silly people are going to loose money and BrickX will end up getting a bad wrap. It very clearly shows % above or below valuation. What's wrong with people when you can still buy bricks in 2 properties below val.

I just noticed that they have now put the below val ones up top.

Danyool and The Y-man like this.