Brick pier rebuild question

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by San2018, 25th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

Appreciate members advise on this.

My 1970's brick vaneer under house brick piers needs to replaced since they are disintegrating/ spalling. I have engaged an underpinning company to fix the two piers for $880 . Each pier is around 5 bricks height. No changes to the footings as they look good.

I asked him to jack up, rebuild the piers and take away jacks but he is pushing to take away the jacks on same day, after 30 mins of build. He says it dries up pretty quickly and no need to worry.

Is it really ok? I am worried that pier will be wet and it might not be safe.

Thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be leaving it a week for the cement in the mortar to go off otherwise there's a likelihood of some settlement and you'll need him back to put some packers under the bearers.

3. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Is he going to leave props in?

Is he maybe bricking around a prop that's off the pad?

4. San2018

Thanks Scott. He says he did a number of jobs, it's ok to take out jacks. But I think he is lazy to come back. $880 To do this kind of is reasonable?

He didn't talk about the props and I think most probably he is not going to use them otherwise he could argue his point that props will take care. If he use the prop, is it safe to take away the jacks.

Any recommendations who can do this job. And also not sure $880 is reasonable price to this job. These two piers are near manhole.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you prepared to work in a confined space, move your materials around, demolish the old piers, supply materials, build up new piers, damp course, ant caps for less than $880?

San2018 and Optimus like this.
  6. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

He could be depending on the span supporting the house and he may be right. It might be that the house is no longer sitting on those particular piers as the piers have actually sunk.

So by building a new pier up to the underside of the bearer the new pier is in fact not doing any support and is ok to remove supports.

I have seen this where a house is moving due to clay soils with lots of cracks in the house.

Personally I agree with SNM and be leaving the props in place for at least a week if not more.

If the pad of the pier is a concrete pad you could do the job yourself with this

1m Long Adjustable House Stump | eBay

which is an adjustable steel peer.

You just need to jack the house up next to the pier to be removed, demolish and insert steel peer and adjust replacement to the correct height and then remove the temp jack all in the same process.

https://www.spantec.com.au/products/ezipier-adjustable-steel-piers/

San2018 likes this.
  7. San2018

House is sitting on piers at the moment.

I might need to find someone else to do the job if he can't leave the jacks for a week.

8. San2018

Latest update. Finallly tradie agreed to leave the piers for a week. He is coming tomorrow do the job..

Scott No Mates likes this.