Brick Garage structural issue

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by jins13, 2nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a property that I am interested in, which the building and pest should be completed very soon which will shed more light into this. But I was advised by the agent that the brick garage will need work due to it having issues with structure/ cracking walls. It is attached to the house and I am hoping that its not on the wrong side of the home. If in the worse case scenario that it needs to be fully replaced, how much should I budget for this? I just find it surprising that the price dropped by $35,000 of the asking price, so I am embracing that the structural integrity of the home may also be affected.

Btw I am not interested in disclosing the location of the property for anyone that ask.

bob shovel likes this.
  2. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

is it part of the actual house or stand alone ? we have so many questions ??
    maybe you can fill us in on the whole story :D

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Talked to the builder and he said 90% need to replace. Has asbestos in the roof and need to be removed. It is attached to the house but the integrity/structure of the house is fine. If it came down to it, l can rent it out but advise the potential tenants the garage is a no go?

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Asbestos in the roof is not a structural issue. In fact it doesn't have to be removed (though you may prefer to, especially if it is degraded).

What exactly was structurally unsound according to the builder?
    Is he actually a builder?

Regards
    Annette

6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Should receive the physical report today and this was over the telephone. What he said was there are issues with the garage surface cracks, most likely it was done incorrectly to start off with. He reckons 90% ner
    ed to remove and install a new garage so hence the asbestos is an issue due to the removal cost. He is a licenced builder

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Might be worthwhile getting a second opinion - or two.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also, remember that a builder is not a structural engineer.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's true. And sometimes they want to make more work for themselves :eek:

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What's the address again ???

B&P has revealed a possible issue, maybe you need to know exactly what needs to be done, 90% does not say to me that it needs removing, or in other words, I would not be pulling anything down that does not require it, or maybe that is the best solution, frankly, who knows.

If you trust the builder, get them to quote, or indicate, he must be better placed than all of us who are blindfolded with zero info.

11. Euni

Euni Member

I would walk away from it not worth the worry and underlying problems that have not been discovered. I had a similar problem with two properties I had made offers on subject to building inspections and one was so bad that if it moved/cracked any more it could potentially be declared a danger.