BRI: Annerley Unit or Oxley Townhouse?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Monique83, 7th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Annerley or Oxley?

1. Unit in Annerley

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Townhouse in Oxley

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Monique83

Monique83 New Member

Hi everyone, wondering if y'all would mind helping a noob :)

I'm new to Brisbane, 6 months in and looking to buy a place of my own.

My main concern is a property that is quiet and private.
    I've found a 1970s brick 2 beddy, 2 carport spaces in Annerley which is 6kms south of Brisbane cbd, in the inner ring. $315k. It is in a complex of 14. It is dated so room for improvement. It has a small kitchen, no dishwasher or aircon or fans, needs a new bathroom, kitchen needs a makeover but is new, needs new blinds and the switches on the walls are very dated, bit worried about wiring etc. It has a nice small balcony overlooking the backyard which is quiet and private. Pretty well situated for transport.

I've also just looked at a 2 story townhouse in Oxley, which is outer ring of Brisbane, also 2 beddy, 19902 I believe, with a single garage. $295k. It is has a lovely little private courtyard out the back, has been renovated with a great kitchen, and dishwasher space. Bathroom upstairs with another loo downstairs and laundry nook. It is a little less private with the lounge area facing the other side of the 9 house complex and can hear a bit of traffic noise.

I work in Rocklea so Oxley is closer by about 5-10 mins. Occasionally work in the CBD. Both are beside childcare centres which are closed on the weekends.:confused:

Is there any advice on what to do from an investment point of view? Initially my concern is my own enjoyment, but i also want to keep Capital Growth etc in mind.

Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated. TIA :)

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Only my opinion as i have looked at several over the past few months for one of the daughters in Annerley

Myself i would not buy something like that in Annerley and not in a block of 14 most of those would target the o/s students that ride -walk -bus -into the Qld Uni and if you back-track the sales pattern over the past 10 years then the C-G will speak for itself in the 10 plus units set-up's .

If you could find a complex in a block of 5-6 units on anything above 800sqm's then depending on the age as some of those units were built in the late 1980s onwards then maybe..

Have you had a look at Moorooka but there again once you back-track the sales data some of those units have had very little C-G some that i looked at only went up 40k in ten years and roughly really does mean roughly ..

Greenslopes from what iv'e seen has a lot on the market in blocks of six some on above 800lmr for below 300k.

I know nothing about Oxley only that it sits on a flood plain,but from what you said that looks like the standout as long as it's away from the flood zone and that's one area that flood waters at high tide is dangerous ..

Try the link below as from experience they are the only ones that seem to have quality properties for sale but that's only my opinion ..Good luck .

https://www.matthewsrealestate.com.au/property/

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Annerley definitely the better suburb, some bits better than others tho. Try to get something with views if you buy a unit

Monique83 likes this.
  4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Buy as much land as your money can buy.

Monique83 likes this.
  5. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

With your budget, I’d be aiming towards a 2 bed brick walk up in Woolloongabba/east Brisbane

With a long term view of that whole suburb redeveloping, gentrifying, and getting the cross river rail whilst only being 2km to CBD. My quick 2 cents

MikeyBallarat and Monique83 like this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Rent where you want to live
    buy where you want to make money..

I don’t think there is any money in them unless you buy waaay undervalue and add value.

Monique83 and Rich2011 like this.
  7. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

My personal opinion, but I think the gabba will still struggle medium term to do well. Every large developer now has a reason to justify a 100+ apartment complex around the new CRR development. Its also a very tired area, with many businesses struggling due to the lack of foot traffic. As of now its walk-ability is stifled by 4 lane highways inbound and outbound and generally not appealing to the eye. These roads are not moving any time soon. I'm also not sure CRR will have an immediate impact on gentrification, moreso the increase in new developments will likely result in nicer shops/retail underneath. It will take a significant revamp of the local area to transition into a New Farm/Newstead vibe.

Monique83 and Rich2011 like this.
  8. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

If you can increase your budget I'd look for a house that requires a renovation in Durack or Inala if your focus is on CG.

Monique83 likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Is this for a long term B&H OO and then a retain and upgrade ?

Or sell and Uprade

Or a for eva home ?

ta
    rolf

10. Monique83

Monique83 New Member

Hi Rolf sorry I don't know what a B&H OO is? Is that Buy and Hold, Owner Occupier? If so yes it is. Thanks!

11. Monique83

Monique83 New Member

Hi thanks for your advice, yes it seems everything I am looking at is flat Capital Gains for a while! I'm not over concerned with this however, I dont think it will go much lower. Good point about the flood plains, this is definitely on my radar of concern. Good luck with the purchase for your daughter!