Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Casteller, 8th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Just more pronounced in Brexit and not a better predictor than George Soros.

2. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Watching the Brexit program on the ABC the other night it stated that 800,000 Poles have moved to Britain since Poland was given entry. The number living in and around London is apparently very high. The reporter was interviewing some of them and none of those interviewed wanted to return to Poland. If they all had to leave where would the workers come from? The unemployed British are not around London.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Poles apart? Or polls apart in this case?

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

As a former resident who is married to a pom I have watched closely.

Overall I am for anything that is pro smaller government and less bureaucracy. All my relatives that live there still are not concerned with immigration, they just resent the endless introduction of more rules and red tape, which the British bureaucracy happily enforce to the nth degree and many countries on the continent do not.

The UK is the 2nd biggest economy, surely the eurocrats can't afford not to trade freely.

Bayview likes this.
  5. geoffw

And now, after England was defeated by lowly Iceland in Euro 2016, somebody has said "I haven't been so embarrassed to be English since Friday".

Kangabanga, Chrispy and The Falcon like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehee.
    Pretty funny after reality started to sink in.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Why would you be having to leave?

If you have a job, a Visa etc to be there?

Is the Company you work for in danger of being closed down/kicked out, and why?

9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

You give us Aussies too much credit - the average Aussie out there in the street is more concerned about the price of the milk than the Brexit...

Once the Election is over and the tax returns come in; all systems go for the economy here (until the tax return runs out).:p

10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

No visa, my "visa" is my EU passport (British), freedom of movement in any of the 28 member countries. No job, I left it in Switzerland and came to live in Spain where my kids live. Salaries very low compared to what I was used to so trying to get by on investments instead. Tax system here doesn't help but trying to make it work.

One of the key things the Brexit proponents want is to withdraw from freedom of movement. This would be reciprocal, the EU is hard on this, the UK cant pick and choose, British would lose rights to live and work freely in Europe. This would affect millions including me, but I do have a back up plan if it comes to that.

truong likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - did make me wonder what would happen to the nearly 800,000 brits currently living in Spain, and have probably bought property

12. geoffw

I'd suspect for this reason that member countries wouldn't want to change regulations allowing Brits to stay long term. The Spanish property market, and possibly some others, has probably only been propped up by outsiders buying bargain basement properties. But until the decisions have been made, it's all speculation.

13. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Don't forget the number of Europeans living in the UK, as the TV show said the other night 800,000 Polish live near London.
    According to the newspaper yesterday Germany now want to have a referendum. The Opposition party is pushing to exit as well.

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Time
    Time to buy gold, guns, and canned food.

shimmy and Chrispy like this.
  15. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

The rational policy would be to tax them as much as possible without it being so painful that they decide to sell up and leave. Compulsory health insurance would be the obvious first call.

16. Casteller

Yes Spain tries to tax foreign passport residents higher on some things... but the EU brought Spain into line so we are treated the same as Spanish residents, but now if UK leaves the EU that protection is lost. In particular it will be very vicious for British non-resident property owners, if not in the EU you are allowed no deductions on rental income at all, not even mortgage interest, flat 24% tax on gross income.

Health insurance cheap though, 40 euros a month for one of the best systems in the world.

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

A light hearted look...

Geoffrey, a middle-aged British tourist on his first visit to Germany finds the red light district and enters a large brothel. The madam asks him to be seated and sends over a young lady to entertain him.

They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear and she gasps and runs away! Seeing this, the madam sends over a more experienced lady to entertain the gentleman.

They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear, and she too screams, "No!" and walks quickly away.

The madam is surprised that this ordinary looking man has asked for something so outrageous that her two girls will have nothing to do with him. She decides that only her most experienced lady, Lola, will do. Lola has never said no, and it's not likely anything would surprise her. So the madam sends her over to Geoffrey's. They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear and she screams, "NO WAY, BUDDY!" and smacks him as hard as she can and leaves.

Madam is by now absolutely intrigued, having seen nothing like this in all her years of operating a brothel. She hasn't done the bedroom work herself for a long time, but she's sure she has said yes to everything a man could possibly ask for. She just has to find out what this man wants that has made her girls so angry. Besides she sees a chance to teach her employees a lesson.

So she goes over to Geoffrey and says that she's the best in the house and is available. She sits and talks with him. They frolic, giggle, drink and then she sits in his lap.

He leans forwards and whispers in her ear, "Can I pay in Pounds?"

Barny likes this.
  18. geoffw

That wasn't me. I promise.

Redwing likes this.
  19. Casteller

20. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member