BREAKING NEWS: Unlimited dwellings, minimum garden space in residential zones (Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Development' started by KateAshmor, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Time to invest in lawnmower manufacturers or synthetic turf companies.... This may be great for kids, but what if you want a low maintenance small yard? (Oh and throw in native plant suppliers too). Duplexes are now smaller and you gotta mow the ******* lawn! :)

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

From what I've read council can't fight it unless there's overlays.
    I just called council to find out what this all means and they said we don't know, call back next week lol.

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Well I confirmed no overlays which is lucky. The extra level should still mean similar size townhouses just higher instead of longer. Might mean an extra bedroom so could be lucky. Still to early to know but made me edgy, no one wants to find out there place just dropped in value. Next step is architects, waiting for a call to see what 35% garden space will do,

4. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

Implementation of the reformed zones is MARCH 2017.
    Rest assured, Council will fight it and let VCAT decide. That way, they wash their hands of the outcome and look good to the neighbours/ratepayers. Might be different if the site is close to a RGZ or C1Z, but in a suburban back street.....unlikely to get an approval.

XXXXXX and Barny like this.
  5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

if you look at the boorondara council (kew, balwyn, mont albert etc) - see the light pink (neighbourhood res zone how big it is ) - welcome sub division and more traffic congestion

upload_2017-3-14_11-27-3.png

Attached Files:

Silverson and EN710 like this.
  6. melbournian

I agree - it's a good time for the landscapers :)

7. David Lam

David Lam New Member

Does anyone know when these new requirements will be implemented? Thanks!

8. melbournian

it's already been gazette by the planning minister as of march 2017.

upload_2017-3-14_14-12-22.png

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Had an interesting convo with a local real estate agent yesterday(Pascoe vale/glenroy/hadfield) and he mentioned that there is still a fair bit of confusion with developers in regards to the % of green space .

My house sits on a 665sqm lot and it's in a NRZ area hence why i thought i'd start the discussion with the RE agent to get an idea of what's happening locally.

Seems like a lot will depend on the council since they can still change the number of storeys and the height limit(in an NRZ zone) while no more having a cap on number of dwellings which means that 35% garden space doesn't necessarily mean less dwellings on a site.

EDIT: Just did a bit more digging and here is the amended definitions of a garden area from a few days ago:

"An uncovered outdoor area of a dwelling or residential building normally associated with a garden. It includes open entertaining areas, decks, lawns, garden beds, swimming pools, tennis courts and the like. It does not include a driveway, any area set aside for car parking, any building or roofed area and any area that has a dimension of less than 1 metre."

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2017
  10. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Doesn't effect UGZ though.

11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Correct. My current triplex application would no longer comply. It will make my permit outcome more valuable though.

12. melbournian

but your NRZ is better off than what it was (from dev perspective) I know those areas allow devs but in other NRZ areas some did not even allow subdivision. The one who is most disadvantaged is the GRZ

paulF likes this.
  13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

RE agent did mention not to go overboard with the current reno i'm doing at the moment if i plan on selling soon since developers are apparently buying these sort of lots, renting for a year while applying for council approvals to put more dwellings and when ready demolish and start building.

14. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

What if you have 400sqm of RGZ land with a Precinct Heritage Overlay, can you demo the site? The website says you can apply but council can reject.

15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I thought the norm these days is to bulldoze everything first. Then pretend you didn't know you couldn't. Pay a small fine and then build what you like.

zed_kid likes this.
  16. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It's open for discussion at the moment State planning Dept has been asked by a few Councils to clarify what "garden space" means

lixas4 likes this.
  17. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Stay calm people, no need to get excited. The greatest impact is on the Neighbourhood Res zone where some Councils limited development to two dwellings. That has been removed.
    ResCode etc still applies, Neighbourhood character still applies
    Garden Space could actually have the effect of lowering density as mentioned above
    All in all a small change noting to get excited about, and perhaps even something to worry about

melbournian likes this.
  18. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

So what do I do with my 400sqm of Growth Zoned Heritage Overlayed land? :(

19. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

I think Melbs will now head down the Perf path.

Can fit x number dwellings on here so worth y amount of money.

Huge number of dwellings for sale though, so depressed prices mean no profit. Too much stock reduces rental return.

No one develops. Appropriate supply dries up. Everyone ends up moving to the outer ring.

Opposite day.

20. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Balga

Aaron Sice likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia