Breaking lease mental health issues

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Christinabrown, 8th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Christinabrown

Christinabrown New Member

Breaking lease
    My brother was admitted to mental hospital and remains there. We had to break his lease on his unit. Does he have to pay the penalty

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think "no" (but really have no idea). Can you call the department that looks after these things in the state the lease is for and ask them directly? Or a tenant's union? In Queensland that would be the Residential Tenancy Association. Other states will have different government departments that look after this and should be able to answer your question.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I reckon the landlord has zero chance of success with the tribunal. The landlord would be well advised to simply let it go and move onto a new tenant as quickly as possible.

Bayview and Jamie Moore like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your brother @Christinabrown. It'd be hard for the family.
    Pretty sure there's provision for hardship, at least in Queensland. Speak to the Agent or Landlord. Hope they have Landlord Insurance....

5. wylie

I do wonder if you have the ability to deal with his business. I'm also sorry to hear about your brother, and know from my own family experience how hard this is on everyone. A sister-in-law is in and out of psychiatric care and refuses to allow any of her family to have any control over anything.

Privacy issues are well and good (and I totally understand why they are there), but when a family member wants to help, it can mean you have to stand by and watch something unfold that could be prevented.

Example is when my SIL said something about having not paid a particular account. I was not able to find out any details. I did manage, with the sympathetic help of someone working there, that $xx would stop any action being taken.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Suggest you apply immediately to the tribunal for a decision.
    Get as much written evidence as you can.
    Marg

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Over the years I've had a few tenants break their lease for various "life issue" things....

I always let them do it; another tenant will be along any minute! ;):D

I think any LL who wouldn't allow your brother to do this needs a good dose of karma.

As @Peter Tersteeg said; the Tribunal would probably side with your brother anyway; but all that should be needed is a forthright and pleasant letter or email to the PM to explain the situation and see how that goes.

WattleIdo, moridog and Ed Barton like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would expect a letter from the hospital or Doctor confirming the situation.

Last edited: 8th Aug, 2017
    Stoffo likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

As a caring human being, I would wish him a speedy recovery and let him out of his lease. Its not always about the money.

10. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I wish your brother a speedy recovery not impeded by worry over a lease and I commend you on your compassion and resource in posting. Good luck.

wylie likes this.
  11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Hi Christina,
    have you applied for 'power of attorney'?
    I think if you have this, you are able to 'bat on his side'.. banks , leases, loans and so on
    Also, please make sure you look after yourself!
    First!
    I hope this helps

Stoffo likes this.
  12. wylie

Christina would have to have her brother agree and be legally able to sign the power of attorney. That sounds unlikely at the moment.

I know the only avenue we had with our relative was to ask the government to step in and appoint one of the siblings as an adult guardian of some sort.

The problem in our family was that the ill person thought we all were trying to sell her house from under her. We wanted to help, but she didn't trust anyone.

Until she can no longer function, or risks losing her house, at which time we would likely step in (depending on circumstances of course) to protect her from a bad decision, we just watch and monitor and try to help.

13. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

Ask to speak with the social worker on the ward. In mental health units they manage all patient finances and can apply to the protective office to manage finances. They may also apply to centrelink on her behalf and allow hospital fees to be waived in some circumstances. This would be a fairly common situation for them and they can advise you.

Last edited: 9th Aug, 2017
  14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

My thoughts would be along the lines of;

- Organise power of attorney if you can (though @wylie makes very valid points about this potentially not being possible).
    - Advise the Property Manager immediately and get them marketing, ask them to investigate releasing him from the lease.
    - If you have any concerns about the Property Managers ability and attitude, or the area, etc, apply to tribunal for release. It's extremely likely your brother will be released without penalty.

Ideally, the break lease will only cost you about two weeks rent and a let fee unless there are other complicating factors.