Break lease fee: Profit off tenant leaving

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Landlord19, 15th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You might not be asking for our opinion, but here is mine anyway. We are rich and we've never had to lower our moral compass to this level.

Regardless of whether they can buy gifts or are lying about having to cancel their holiday, you have profited from their misfortune. Is it legal for you to keep the fee? I have no idea.

But I wouldn't do it. I would think about taking what I am out of pocket and not a penny more. I likely would not even take that. I may be a bit of a softie, but I can sleep well at night.

Mat, Ted Varrick, freyja and 4 others like this.
  2. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this... but greedy people sleep well at night knowing how easily they scr*ed someone over. They tend to thrive on this. I would cover my own costs and move on ad not take a cent more.

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

this is one of the more heinous threads ive read recently, some achievement.

congrats on being a scumbag. they have actually done you a massive favour by moving out as you now collect more in rent each week. on top of that you not only want the $4k but youre going to charge them for leaving a small amount of grass clippings even though you admit theyve generally taken good care of the place???

Mat, 158 and neK like this.
  4. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Putting aside any morality issues this is what NSW Fair trading has to say - read the 'Optional break fee' paragraph.

Breaking_a_lease_early

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

That is what the plain reading of the provisions seem to suggest. But like I said, I've heard that the tribunal interpretation might be different. Believe it or not, the Fair Trading point of view has pretty much no legal weight in tribunal.

If I get some time I'll try and look into it since I'm curious myself.

I know the NSW tenant's union had a different interpretation and running those arguments at CTTT/NCAT - not sure of the outcome.

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I don't have any interest in moral debates either.
    Interesting that there is a break fee that can be included in a lease agreement. Is that what you were talking about landlord19?
    Is there a break fee included that you would be charging?

Keep us posted on outcome, I tend to agree with Mr Bum, tribunals can rule either way even with a clause in place.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Xenia as per the extract which I put up before, tenant/lessor can agree that a break fee applies or that the tenant is responsible for all costs until expiry. It may sound harsh in this instance that the tenant has been hit with a 4 week break fee where the lessor has not suffered a loss but has benefitted from the break both with uplift and lack of vacancy but both parties have agreed to these conditions. I also pointed out that it cuts both ways, if the property was relet after a 8 week vacancy, the tenant would not have to pay the additional costs either.

Handyandy, Xenia and D.T. like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Surely you're not suggesting that it's another one of star of david's accounts?

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  9. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

That would defeat the purpose of the clause. In NSW it's an either or for break lease. You either state in the lease a fixed break lease applies or you don't and it falls back to the usual method of landlords costs

The point of the fixed fee is to give tenants certainty about how much it will cost them if they are to leave early so they can make a decision with eyes wide open

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.