Break Cost Fixed IO

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by salz, 25th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. salz

salz Active Member

All,

Anyone please shed light how is break cost calculated for fixed interest loan? I understand Banks use Bank Bill Swap Rate (BBSR) to calculate your early repayment cost.

Took 3 year fixed IO PPOR loan (500K).. with 4.74% .... 2 year left in fixed period. product does not fit my purpose so cutting my loses.

I am surprise to see my break cost increased by 1k in last week without changing anything in interest.
    Last week it was $4850 and today $5800 not including other charges (discharge fees $500 + legal cost $275)

Any tips to reduce break cost. repayment of 20K annual limit in Fixed IO hopefully reduce this slightly. Any other Idea?

Trying to recoup loses using St G Rebate 2k plus reduce interest of 4.19% . I guess I could recoup ard 5K in a year but still a loss of 2 grand.

Thanks Guys.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

whatever the bank comes back with is how they calc it

can dispute via FSO, but best of luck

Have a chat with Steven Ryan who posts here, may have some ideas for you.

He was in a deep fixed rate pickle
    ta

rolf

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Investment loan or owner occ?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I was a Money Market dealer in a former life. BBSW (Bank Bill Swap Rate) is the basis for the rate set BUT subject to margins AND bank positions. The payout is also based on net present value / discounted rates of returns (incl margins or an agreed penalty). Basically the customer pays a penalty to compensate for loss. Customers never win. If I was pricing it in treasury today I would probably set a rate at 7%... Customers lose. Think of paying the bank 2.5% pa ayear for the life of the fixed rate deal and then slightly discount is at market. Say 2.0%, If there is a benefit then ignore it. House wins.

5. salz

salz Active Member

Terry - it is Owner Occ loan.

Thanks others - I will look into Steven Ryan posts. It is just that it got increased by a 1K in a week.
    Any tips to recoup some of the money.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member