[BRAINS TRUST] Is this bathroom big enough?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Archaon, 28th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from those that do plenty of new builds and/or renovations on the size and layout of a proposed bathroom.

Will the below work or is it too tight?

The bath will be a back to wall unit such as this.
    Shower to be 900x900.

Bathroom33.JPG

Kind Regards,
    Arc

@Westminster @Brady @Sackie

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

If you combined the toilet with the bathroom you would end up with a large bathroom even if you cannot reclaim the square of hall. Consider a large walk in shower where the toilet is and the toilet could fit in several ways depending on door position etc. You would also save on not buying two doors and the shower can be a single sheet of glass without a door.

Tufan Chakir and Archaon like this.
  3. Archaon

It's for a new build, some more context, 4/2/2 with 2 living areas, i'm tossing around ideas on how to work the bathroom.

I was thinking toilet separate would be advantageous for people looking to use the toilet when others are in the shower/bath etc.

Are the current dimensions too small/restrictive or is it possible?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd go with a 1465 bath and make the shower 1200 x 900. I don't like 900 x 900 showers and I'm only 5'2".

I drew a mud map of our bathroom (3000 x 2050mm) but cannot upload it so I found a photo. We have our bath across the end of the room with room at the end for a laundry hamper. I put my scales there though because we have an Ikea two glass door full height cupboard for linen, spare towels, toilet rolls, etc plus our dirty clothes hamper is in there.

You really need 1200mm long shower for a sliding door to work but you can fit a small sized toilet in 800mm rather than the 900mm suggested as required wall width.

We went with an in-wall cistern to save space, We chose a wall hung basin, but I hate really skinny basins, and this works without feeling like we've skimped and it has room either side for soap etc. We also have a mirror two door shaving cabinet pushed into the wall behind with a niche below it with LED lights so there's plenty of storage space, much pushed into the wall cavities.

To the right of the photo is the 1200 x 950mm shower with a glass sliding door on rollers. Again, we wanted to avoid the swinging door and save the "swing" space.

We also have a cavity slider door to the bathroom which avoids that swinging door that takes up space.

Our bath is 1500mm I think, plenty big enough for a large person, quite deep, and would fit three kids easily.

IMG_7089.jpeg

Tufan Chakir, korando1234 and Archaon like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's a perfectly normal layout that is common in millions of houses in Australia at the moment.
    The size looks fine. I wouldn't go smaller but I don't think it needs to be bigger unless you want it to be a bit grander.

The freestanding bath will make it feel a bit larger as it doesn't have a hob taking up floor space. If you go with a wall hung vanity it will seem larger again.

Rugrat and Archaon like this.
  6. Westminster

The alternative layout which also works well is bath running along the vanity wall, 900mm vanity in the middle and shower where it currently is.

Rugrat likes this.
  7. Archaon

Wall hung is definitely the plan! Thanks for the feedback!

I've always thought about doing this, did it cost much to recess the cabinet?

8. Archaon

I think this layout may be better, gives a good space to brush teeth or get out of the tub without bumping into railings or vanities etc.

Rugrat likes this.
  9. Westminster

10. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Hi wylie, how did you attach your toilet roll holder to the glass wall, was it glue? My old one is falling off, do you have a link where I can buy one like yours? Thanks

11. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

This of course raises the problem of where the toilet user washes their hands.

12. Archaon

Small basin within the bathroom

13. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

This is what I would recommend.

14. Archaon

Bathroom33-2.JPG

korando1234 and Rugrat like this.
  15. wylie

Cost nothing. Hubby respected the walls and left the opening with appropriate nogging support for any nogging he may have had to remove.

Our electrician ran first fix so that our power point sits inside the cupboard itself. We don't use electric shavers or hairdryers, so our electric toothbrush sits inside the shaving cabinet plus a little plug in light so that we don't have to turn on the lights, just open the door and the light comes on and we can see enough to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

The recess did cost a bit extra for the tiling but with the LED lights lighting up a collection of cut crystal perfume bottles, it really looks nice.

Westminster and Archaon like this.
  16. wylie

We had our shower screen guy put the hole to suit the toilet roll we chose and he made a little back plate and had it chromed. Cost maybe $50 extra, not much, if anything.

For our downstairs bathroom, we didn't do this, but have used a suction chromed plastic fitting which I put on the vanity but hubby has removed it and put it on the glass beside the loo. Probably doesn't look as good looking at the back of the suction plate, but I've never showered there yet, so haven't actually noticed.

17. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

900 x 900 showers are too small... see comments by wylie. You can make it work - try harder. Small bathroom spaces are really difficult to design, but good results can be achieved, don't give up on something that "just works" strive for the best you can do