Health & Family Braces - anyone regretted getting them?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jess Peletier, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi all,

I'm considering re-living my teenager-hood (minus the pimples, insecurity and the teenager part) and getting braces.

They're bloody expensive and I'm in two minds so I want to hear your experiences - has anyone had them and regretted it?

I'm trying to think of it like it's a structural reno on my face, but it's not helping :D

MTR and Blueskies like this.
  2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I haven't done it but my stepmother got them about 5years ago. She had them on for about. 18months. Was supposed to be 2years. She had the classic braces.

My previous boss also has braces now. She has the invisalign ones.

If it's something that bothers you then do it. My stepmother talked about it for at least 10years before my dad cracked and she made a decision to do it. She now wishes she did it earlier.

Jess Peletier and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I have also contemplated it for years and just never pulled the pin. I've got teeth like a graveyard, like wonky tombstones.

Not sure I'd bother now at 42, it'd take more than straight teeth to fix this ugly mug up :D

I kind of like my wonky teeth now, it's part of what makes me me I guess. I've got a big nose too, so first the teeth, then the nose...what next!

Jess Peletier and Marg4000 like this.
  4. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

Jess, I had braces when I was younger and I definitely don't regret it (though I was a bit self conscious when I first got them at the time). Overall, I think it's worth it.

I wish these were around back then: About Invisalign | Advantages | Invisalign Australia

I must say, your teeth look fine in your photo ;)

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Had braces in primary school, no regrets. I still have a bit of an underbite but my teeth are straight.

If it's something that you find yourself regularly thinking about, it'd be worth a shot for the confidence boost alone :) The adjustments can sometimes cause some discomfort but it all passes.

6. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I'm getting my invisalign this Friday! :D

For the most part my teeth are pretty straight except for a gap between my incisors and around the upper jaws which I've always been self conscious about.

It took a couple of weeks to get them made in the US but now they're finally here. They're not cheap either. Yikes! :eek:

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2018
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had friends who had them done in the Phillipines, but they were on an extended stay anyway. It paid for the holiday costs though.

My daughter had them done in her early 20s. She had always been very self conscious about her teeth, and they got worse as she matured. She's very glad she has had them done now.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Eldest daughter has braces. She's had them on for a few years now. She got a tooth removed years ago, now wants to get an implant, but won't remove the braces until she works out what she's going to do. Loss of bone where the implant needs to go means the cost is more than double what she spent on the braces. :eek:

Jess Peletier likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Let me know how you get on - I'm tossing up between invisalign or the ceramic ones which are a little more discrete than the metal ones. I'm not sure if I'd get annoyed having to take the invisalign out to eat and drink.
    They're not too bad, but there's one molar in particular that is sort of leaning in and it drives me nuts. It's more for comfort than aesthetics. :) If it was for aesthetics, I'd spent $9k in much more creative ways! :D

Air_Bender likes this.
  10. Jess Peletier

Hubby needs two implants too. We might need to have a dental holiday like Geoff's friend.
    Now I like that idea. Especially with invisalign, where they can send them to you and barely need to see you again.

11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Before you go down the 'Invisalign' path, try and find someone that has them. There's a lady at work that has them, and to be honest, it looks ridiculous. Normal 'ínvisible' braces would have looked better. The best way I can describe it is that she looks like she eats a tub of Vaseline every 2 minutes. And she talks like she's wearing a mouth guard (because, she is).

I had normal invisible braces just out of school. My girlfriend at the time didn't even notice for 2 months, no jokes.

My dad got braces at the same time as us (in his late 40's). None of us regret getting them,

MTR likes this.
  12. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I agree with @mikey7 - strongly dislike the Invisalign ones, and think normal (ceramic/clear) braces are less noticeable/intrusive.

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You wouldn't catch me with braces.

[​IMG]

How the heck you get this in your mouth lol.

14. Air_Bender

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. My colleague has Invisalign and they look absolutely fine hence why I'm going down this route instead of the traditional braces. There is a slight difference in her speech which I'm sure is something you'll also get with braces but in terms of their appearance, unless you're really close up or paying attention to the person's mouth they're hardly noticeable.

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2018
  15. Air_Bender

@Jess Peletier, here's a youtube video on how they look and work which you may find useful.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We have all had braces, 2 daughters in teenage years and partner and I did it in our forties

Best thing.....Confidence booster

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Apr, 2018
  17. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

How 'bad' are your colleagues teeth though?
    The video you posted showed someone with teeth that don't even look like they need braces, so looks fine on her.
    I still can't get past the Vaseline look though :p

Air_Bender likes this.
  18. Air_Bender

I wouldn't say my colleague's were the worst I've seen but hers definitely needed some work. Her central incisors were the only ones in their correct position. Everything else was all over the place. It has been a couple of months now and you can really see the difference.

19. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

definitely do it, the earlier its done the better (once the dentist says her adult teeth are pretty much set). Half the school will be in braces, it hurts less then and much easier then doing it in uni or when working. The trick is getting her to wear her retainer for as loooong as she can, once the braces are removed.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Depends on how bad your teeth are. I think it's really cute to have slightly crooked teeth - so many people have "perfect" smiles nowadays it's dazzling and kinda boring.

SeafordSunshine and Sackie like this.