NSW Box Hill Land (and building ourselves)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by KMG, 19th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KMG

KMG Member

First home buyer looking at buying a block of land at Box Hill (315i sqm for 400k) only about 3 min drive to Rouse Hill Town Centre and close to public transport Land will be completely flat with good quality soil being put over it. The land won't register till later in the year. Hoping to put a house on it for 320k as our PPOR. Combined becomes 720k including stamp duty and accounting for first home buyers. This seems to be the cheapest way to get into the market in what seems to be a good growth area with city connections (just), whilst still being in the more premium hills district.

A few concerns with the land:
    Unsure what can be done to ensure site costs are minimized (I've heard horror stories). It seems like a bit of a risk in regards to not knowing exactly what's underneath without boreholes being done or knowing the BAL rating. Any recommendations here?

We'd expect to be here for about 10 years. It seems like Box Hill is a good growth area if it goes the way of Stanhope/Rouse Hill/Beaumont. Would love to hear any thoughts!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Can probably predict the answer to this but....

That price range will get you more land south of the M7.

3. KMG

KMG Member

Our jobs are in The Hills area. Infrastructure is far better in Box Hill also. Once Sydney Metro tunnel is open, Rouse Hill to Barangaroo in 45 mins.

Land is not that much cheaper in SW Sydney for much further out. Eg. 365k for 300sqm at Gregory Hills

Land For Sale

Esh likes this.
  4. jembuss

jembuss Active Member

Also good to note they are building a much needed hospital just opposite to rouse hill town center.

where did you get the $320,000 figure for the build + stamp duty & legal? also what sort of house are you looking to build.

cheers, Jem

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Site costs are affected by the movement and reactivity in the soil. Most sites in Box Hill will be Class M or H1 or H2. My site in Rouse Hill was H2 from memory.

Avoid extremely reactive (E) or class (P) problem sites.

A couple of things I did:
    • Got soil core surveys report from the land estate developer ( this gave me details of depth to bedrock )
    • Ensured that my builder gave a fixed-price for site costs ( many builders will give an allowance per lineal metre of concrete piers needed to support the slab, if you can't get fixed site costs try to ensure the allowance in the contract is sufficient )
      • You should be able to lookup DAs for houses in the immediate area of similar size to what you are building and look at slab plans to see number of piers required to support the weight of the house. Use Email alerts of planning applications near you | PlanningAlerts to find the DAs. I was then able to get a gut feel to confirm there was ample allowance in my contract.
    Soil classifications.

Building on reactive soil sites

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 1.44.49 pm.png

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2019
    Esh likes this.
  6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Also consider getting your contract reviewed by a lawyer before you sign.

7. jembuss

jembuss Active Member

Great info wombat, appreciate it as i also im in the mist of locking in a H&L in the next couple weeks, meeting with my lawyer monday to go over the contracts.

Im a first home buyer, so would appreciate your thoughts on the H&L im about to lock in, its a very small corner block but because of the shape it helps with backyard size and what there able to build on it, its 285m2 block building a 2 story 4/2.5/1 land already registered for $648000 total land cost $369k No variations but looking like its going to be another 10gs on top for some inclusions i want. its in Saratoga rise, would appreciate your thoughts as you seem to be a property chat vet.

cheers

8. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

With regards to reactivity test, most of test results arent worth the paper they are written on. try getting two companies test the same site and you will know what I mean. Get a good engineer who has designed in the area for some time and ask them for a recommendation but unless if you are building apartment, IMHO, you dont need soil test. Most sites in Sydney you should get away with H1 waffle pod or traditional.

Box hill is too far north to have any form of real gain at least for 10 years or so. Great if you work in hills but dont count on real gain, it wont happen in short term.

9. jembuss

jembuss Active Member

thanks for the feed back my man yes i work in the hills so its ideal in that respect,

cheers

10. jembuss

jembuss Active Member

ps sorry for trying to hijack the thread.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia