Boutique Apartment Blocks - Sydney

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by PropDir, 17th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi all,

I am looking for options to buy a unit inside an apartment block however I want it to be a low-rise block with a very minimal number of units in the building (20-30 units max).

Looking at mainly 1-2 bedroom units

I am looking for options around the North and North West regions around Sydney.
    • North (e.g. around Hornsby, Waitara areas)
    • North West (e.g. around Kellyville, Castle Hill, Carlingford areas)
    The location should be max 25-30 kms from Sydney CBD area.

Could anyone suggest good suburb options I could look at, and also any specific properties or unit blocks they may suggest?

Thanks in advance.

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I don't think I'd be buying units in any of those areas, nor would I be buying units in blocks of 20-30. You're better off to look at blocks of <12 in areas that are traditionally supportive of unit buyers and renters i.e. without major risk of oversupply and under pinned tourism and immigration for both short and longer term accommodation. The areas you've mentioned are predominantly family areas where the underlying demand is for house and land, not units.

At the moment units are suffering in almost all areas of Sydney but they will boom again when the borders open to students, tourists and immigrants. Look closer to the city in smaller boutique blocks.

- Andrew

3. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi Andrew, while I tend to agree from an investment perspective, my priority is not only for investment but the fact I intend to utilise the property for other purposes (including rending it out to close relatives who want to live in these nearby areas).

I've expanded the search to North Kellyville area, where there is a huge amount of supply of very nice apartments,

4. mcdill

mcdill Well-Known Member

How about a villa that is part of a boutique block (eg less than 10).

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Hard to suggest without knowing your budget.

6. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

sorry off topic but for my learning, is there real value in buying blocks ? i know its a thing here in aus,

say 500k x 12= 6m, after cost, are the yield worth it ? ( i dont know what the yield is )

i understand the leverage bit, vs shares, but are people buying to redeveloped in the future, ?

land banking ?

MWI likes this.