Boundary question for the Brisbane planning pros

Discussion in 'Development' started by Chode, 18th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chode

Chode Active Member

Hi everyone,

I had a couple of questions regarding the siting of a build on a 855sqm property in Brisbane for anyone who may be able to help.

Attached down the botom is an extract from 'MP 1.2 – DESIGN AND SITING STANDARD FOR SINGLE DETACHED HOUSING – ON LOTS 450M2 AND OVER' for reference to my question.

Firstly is the following acceptable according to the code? It's assuming the lower level is less than 4.5m and the upper story less than 7.5m.

upload_2015-7-18_17-15-1.png

With reference to A2 (d) below, is a class 10a building always a standalone building? ie can the garage component of your class 1 building be classified as 10a or is it Class 1 because it is within the building envelope of the house. In essence I want to know if I can build the garage which is connected to the house closer to the boundary in accordance with A2 (d). I've tried to illustrate this below.

Thanks for any help!

upload_2015-7-18_17-35-3.png

upload_2015-7-18_16-59-26.png

upload_2015-7-18_16-58-33.png

upload_2015-7-18_16-59-4.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2015
  2. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

@RPI - this sounds like your domain. :)

3. gaiusb

gaiusb Member

Yes the garage can form part of the dwelling and be built within 1.5m of the side boundary, for up to 9m in length. However your example shows the garage + another section of the house is built to boundary. That other part I would consider to be part of the class 1a dwelling rather than the class 10a garage. Therefore you don't comply with the QDC and would need a relaxation with council.

Also in the elevation you have shown a 2m setback to the upper storey wall, but this would need to be measured to the 'outer-most projection', i.e. the roof overhang. This is the case where the lot width is greater than 15m, however for a narrow or near narrow lot there are lesser setbacks in table A1.

But if you had neighbour's consent I think you find council would probably approve what you want there.

Perp likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you can't comply with the QDC then you can get a relaxation to some degree with your certifier or you get a DA through Council.

In Brisbane Council will give you a built to boundary for 9m and a 1m boundary for the length of the building.

5. Chode

Chode Active Member

Thanks guys. I originally didn't think eaves and window hoods counted but can see now as part of the definitions that they clearly do. A little annoying to apply for a relaxation just for eaves but oh well.

Thanks again.

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

the different requirements between BCC planning scheme and QDC is annoying with things like above