Bought land where the zoning has changed (Queanbeyan) - Want to build duplex

Discussion in 'Development' started by eternit, 9th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eternit

eternit Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a piece of land in Queanbeyan NSW which is 660m2. It is a corner block with access from main street and side street. It is a flat rectangular block which would be good to be build a duplex on.

Looking at the LEPs for Queanbeyan it looks like in the old LEP (1998) the zoning was Zone 2(B) which allowed Dual Occupancy to be developed. The land previously actually had a shop and resi on it. Shop was facing the main street.

In the LEP which came out in 2012 now the zoning has changed to R2 which only allows 1 dwelling + granny flat. For Duplex now the zoning is R3 with minimum lot size 600m2.

After I bought the property agent suggested I talk to council about building duplex on the land.

Is that something which council would consider?

I will create a draft plan of duplex and a meeting with council but wanted to check if anyone here had anything that can make my case strong to allow the duplex.

Thanks.

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

You would be better talking to a town planner, as Council's advise has been sketchy at best for me in the past.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You have recently purchased under the current LEP. The grace period of the previous LEP has lapsed. The new LEP applies.

Possibly not much you can do without good town planning advice.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.