Bought a ppor. Now I have to move.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by 13161, 24th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is quite clear on the website, and you could ring the department itself and get an answer. You wouldn't act on the advice of a strange on a forum, would you?

Marg4000 likes this.
  2. 13161

13161 Active Member

In that case, what are we doing talking at all?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You posted a question. You got answers.

Marg4000, 158 and DaveM like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are looking for someone to supply a legal reason for you to avoid paying what you owe. It is not a refund or extra stamp duty, it is simply what you would have paid in the first place for the circumstances you now describe.

Don't shoot the messenger!
    Marg

158 and wylie like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You and spouse. Partner etc also can only access one cgt exemption between youj not one each. Legal definition is tax fraud if you do overclaim through ignorance or recklessness.

There is land tax, duty and income tax all to considered

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2017
  6. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

You said in one of your responses that there were extenuating circumstances as to why you have to move. I think it’d really be worth ringing the revenue office and asking if this circumstance qualifies you for an exemption to the residency requirement. If they can’t answer you, it’s be worth getting legal advice given it’s a significant amount of money you stand to lose

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Duty rules have no extenuating issues. Simple. And it may even put the cgt issues at risk if the term is brief etc. Only personal advice would address all issuees

8. 13161

13161 Active Member

Impartial moderation allowing bullying. Yep, leaving.

As if I didn't know the rules, I was asking for experience hence the forum. Maybe it wasn't clear from the start. I was saying I know I could take the risk and be caught out but it's not really the choice I'd want to take. Perhaps someone had a solution that wasn't already clear. Because, the law has never seen a loop hole or precedent before.

But since you all know everything is online anyway, there's no point talking on forums then.

Thanks for those who know how to talk with manners.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

So I'm belittling a stranger, when all I did was use the quote that YOU said to someone else? There's something about pots & kettles going on here methinks, and it was hardly belittling.

OK, I get it! If I don't agree with your views, or I can't give you the answers you want, I'm a bully, right?

How about you stop being so thin skinned & try to understand the information that has been given to you here. This isn't school anymore, you know. You're not going to get told that you are right, and you are special just for existing. This is the real world & we tell it like it is here. The rules are the rules & everyone has to follow them. If you don't, then you risk getting yourself into hot water.

Simon Hampel, Marg4000 and 158 like this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The moderation on this forum is excellent. Thank you all moderators!

Look, you have 33 listed posts, so clearly you are a bit new to this forum.

Joining a forum is a bit like being the new kid in class. It takes a while to figure out who is the class clown, who will make a joke of everything, who will disagree just for the sake of it, and just who the really useful people to know who always talk sense, give good advice and know what they are talking about.

To describe any post I have seen on this thread as "bullying" seems petulant, and is demeaning to anyone suffering true bullying.
    Marg

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

What is this metadata stuff????

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia