Bought a place in 2021

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Sackie, 18th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So been keeping it a bit hush but not long ago I bought a place at auction . It settles in a few days and I'm pretty excited about it. It's 3/2/2 apartment, kinda dated internals in a blue chip suburb of Sydney. Huge garden. Good OO appeal. I paid in the 2m+ price point. The plan is to do a 500k reno, live in it for a period of time and then sell for around 3.8-4m. Many sale comparables currently to make the numbers work. If all goes to **** and the market turns back or I can't get my sale price, I may end up living in it for awhile and I'd be happy to.

I'll update once the reno starts .

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2021
    craigc, inertia, Coen and 9 others like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Nice. I’ve been banging on for a while that good apartments are undervalued. I hope it works out for you.

Sackie likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There's now a huge gap from apartments to semis/houses in Sydney's East. Many, many people will be priced out of buying a new or renovated semi or home for 5mil plus. Pre covid, 3m was possible. No more. The next best option will be a luxury apartment with a garden. I think this specific type of stock will become more and more popular over the next few years and demand will increase. It's already happening.

Worse case, I'll live there for awhile longer:)

4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Awesome to hear man, how are all your other projects coming along?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Time to learn about your new OC & working them to get your approvals.

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are copying my property investment strategy :D.

If you are, you are 5 years behind me :p.

Congratulations. You know my thoughts on Apartments.

Will be keen to see it next time I have spare time in Sydney.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! It would be great to see some progress pics when the renovations start if that is something you feel comfortable posting. :)

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks. Fingers crossed it works out.

I had a few projects come to completion just as covid broke out and auctions/inspections were greatly curtailed etc and I'd just gone to market. Buyers were terrified, saying markets are going to crash and offering heavily discounted prices for my stock . Needless to say I didn't sell. Spent thousands in marketing, even more in staging etc and all wasted. It was quite disheartening at the time because you take so many risks, put so much effort into projects and then an event like Covid happens and derails your plans. But that's life and part of the risks you take when you invest.

The great news is since then I have sold some for amazing prices . Even more than I was expecting pre covid. I also have some more coming to market soon and I'll likely break suburb records, possibly more than once.

Tbh in all my 20 years of investing I'd never experienced anything like the covid situation. Whatever I renovated or built and sold, sold quickly and well. So this has been a growing phase for me personally in terms of staying focused and keeping a resilient mindset . I can't just talk the talk, I gotta walk it too when times are challenging. And those close to me reminded me of that. It was not easy to not let the fear take over and hold put but SO glad I did.

I'm so grateful that I've managed to come out the other end intact.

craigc, Blueskies, Gen-Y and 3 others like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Will update with some renovations in time mate.

unicorntears likes this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Copying....:oops:

Time to write your book with all your investment wisdom :p

11. jaybean

For many it's not even a "next best option". Plenty want the low maintenance life of an apartment with the freedom to have BBQ's in a garden. I assume it's ground floor? I love ground floor apartments cause it's more house-like, don't have to wait for elevators / or deal with stairs, and you get a courtyard. You'll do well I'm sure.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

I agree that 'lifestyle apartments' will do well in the coming years. In our area, a lot of older people are selling their 100yr old homes for $2-3m and then spending $1.5m on a nice unit nearby. As house prices continue to move, unit prices will follow, especialy if they are house-like (with a court yard, small complex etc).

I also think some people are underrating how inner city apartments will perform (I'm referring more to good ones, well-built in small complexes, not those in large brick jungles). There is so much talk about people moving to Byron Bay, moving up/down the coast, moving onto farms etc but once the leisure wears off, many will be wanting to move back near the city again.

Ben20 likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes ground floor mate. Saw some good ones with big courtyards on upper levels but I think the gardens will yelid a premium when the apartment is done up.

Archaon and jaybean like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree. Especially the lifestyle one's. Also, there are many folks who won't want to leave certain areas of only buy in certain areas. This type of stock is a perfect in-between. It's far superior to the average apartment but not quite as costly as a home. Also if done well, all the emotional buying factors will be present .

15. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

500k reno for an apartment? Are you going full Sultan of Brunei?

16. jaybean

I'm wondering this too. With an apartment you're limited in what you can do to begin with so I don't even know how one could spend this much. I'd like to think the renovation is:

10k for new carpet
    490k for a gold statue of himself in the garden

craigc and MikeyBallarat like this.
  17. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Only issue with ground floor vs top floor apartments are the potential noise issues.

Have no problem getting a ground floor unit at as an IP, but as a PPOR would consider other options unless I was in a boutique, expensive block of 2-4 (where the only people who an afford to buy in are rich old farts).

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's a full gut job down to the bones for the entire place. 60-80m stone throughout, gaggenau integrated appliances, highest fixtures and fittings, ducted zoning, full landscaping etc etc. 500k is allowed for. Most likely will come in a little under.

Also 3 bedder larger apartments have more space, therefore bigger kitchens/bathrooms etc. So more in cost compared to a 80sqm unit. Some can be bigger than semis.

craigc and shorty like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wasn't entirely easy but surprisingly not extremely difficult.

I think 90% of OOs looking to buy apartments aren't looking at this kind of stock, out of their price range and those who can afford it want it complete. And investors haven't flooded back yet. Those who missed out on homes/semis are looking at buying completed luxury apartments. Not gut jobs. So while there is competition, its not totally fierce. Yet.