Travel & Holidays Boston and New York

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 18th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Since you're all such a well traveled bunch - I thought I'd ask for some tips on places to see/things to do/cool experiences in Boston and New York. I have a couple of weeks.

Will be heading in the US winter - no kids with me (insert happy dance image) :)

Cheers

Jamie

Jacque likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its been a long time since I visited Boston, but absolutely quaint beautiful city.

I would look at something like this as its winter and if you like some of the stops you can always go back.
    Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour with Optional Harbor Cruise - TripAdvisor

Jamie Moore likes this.
  3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Stay away from Time Square! (I lived in New York for a year and it's by far the worst part but all the tourists seem to go!)

If you have a sweet tooth, make sure you go to Levain Bakery on West 74th. Dreaming about those cookies now... And don't forget Central Park !

Jamie Moore likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

@Jamie Moore you just complained about cold weather... Now you're going to the US in winter? :eek:

I take it this is a basketball related thing?

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2017
  5. Jamie Moore

Sure is :)

6. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Boston is great for just walking around and exploring. Hike up the tall tower thingy (can't remember what it's called but you'll find it).

Head down to the wharfs, check out the seals, eat as much clam chowder as you physically can, its sensational. We enjoyed it at the Bourdain bakery as it comes in hollowed out bread bowls!

Explore the Harvard Uni grounds.

Generally a really nice city to explore on foot, if I remember rightly there's a city trail type route to take in the sights.

New York didn't really do much for me I'm afraid. I did enjoy going up the Empire State building though, we did it at night which was cool.

We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe in NY most nights as it was close and great value, a tip if you go there, the restaurant queue was usually massive so head up to the front and as for a seat at the bar instead, you get straight in and the bar menu had most of the stuff on the main menu plus it was cool to sit up at the big bar and eat.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Actually, I just remembered I kept a travel journal when we migrated from the UK to Oz, (via big USA explore!). If you're interested you might find a few good bits/bad bits from my journals for Boston & NY. Links below, (it was back in 2007 so things may have changed a bit since).

There's plenty of photo's in them though, you have to scroll down to the bottom to get the balance of photo's.

Boston Pt 1

Boston - Part 1. | Travel Blog

Boston Pt 2

Boston - Part 2 | Travel Blog

New York Pt 1

New York - Part 1 | Travel Blog

New York Pt 2

New York - Part 2 | Travel Blog

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good blog @Propagate
    Boston is a university town with its people and feel. I spent most of my time catching up with friends in Boston, including Quincy market. Quiet and laid back.

Propagate likes this.
  9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Love your blog @Propagate and such a great idea for when you reflect back (the details leave our brains so quickly after all :))

@Jamie Moore we loved NYC in 2012 and plan on going back hopefully this year for a significant birthday event :D Did a walking tour to begin with, which I'd highly recommend (look on Trip Advisor for tips here) and then really enjoyed walking the streets, checking out all the different districts, movie spots, Central Park, Brooklyn bridge, MMA, Guggenheim (I'm an art lover) Rockefeller for skating and views (didn't bother with Empire State or Statue of Liberty- free ferry across and you get a nice view of her!) 9/11 memorial park and Hell's Kitchen (food district) - all highlights. There is so much to see and do, and so much more when we return.
    Have fun!

Jamie Moore likes this.
  10. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

We were in New York a couple of years ago, it turned out not to be what I was expecting.
    People were actually friendly and genuinly eager to help. I was expecting zero eye contact and people being very abrupt, it was nothing like that. Very impressed.
    Tips on what to do? Whatever interests you, it's New York, everything is there plus a whole lot more. I did enjoy walking across Broklyn Bridge, despite the crowds. Also watching baseball at Yankee Stadium despite the freezing temp.

11. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Oh yes! Make sure you do this too- we watched them and it was SO American- really amusing when everyone stands up and whoops... lots of dancing too. Very entertaining :D

12. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

I disagree with the poster who said avoid Times Square. Of course you have to go there, you are a tourist, not a resident :rolleyes:
    Time Square is such a buzz, just to stand amongst the activity is amazing. I am an introvert who typically avoids crowds but loved Times Square for the atmosphere.
    I loved B.B. King Blues Club & Grill, Lucille Cafe in New York City Times Square 42nd Street I went on a Sunday, all you can eat buffet with the Harlem Gospel Choir singing

Boston is very nice. If you like the show Cheers, you can go to the bar that inspired the show. https://cheersboston.com/ I liked Boston

Jamie Moore likes this.
  13. Jamie Moore

Cheers

Jamie