Borrowing with AFM - Urgent Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by randomhero24, 16th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. randomhero24

randomhero24 Member

So my wife and I are borrowing to build on new land, which has titled and our settlement date is this Monday.

I am in a position where my employer wants me gone within the next 6 weeks. I breached my contract and we have verbally agreed that within 6 weeks I need to leave. I am aftraid that if we don’t have the slab down, that AFM will tear up our loan if they see a payslip from a different employer.

My financial broker said if it was him, he would wait until the slab is down before doing anything but I don’t have a choice, as the builder may not start building until 2-3 months after settlement.

Because we are high LVI and have lenders mortgage insurance, I am worried that this change in employment will destroy everything.

I am really stresssd about this and would love some advice.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Once it settles you'll be fine - they won't ask for new payslips after this point.

3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

As long as you meet your contractual agreement, that is make your payments on time, you will be sweet.

4. randomhero24

randomhero24 Member

Thanks for the replies.

I know that it’s probably okay but since I think the worst of everything I am really panicking.

Have you had any dealings with AFM in the past?

5. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

so you settle the land on Monday.

BUT is the construction loan also formally approved or just pre approved. Possible tricky situation here if AFM (or the funder behind them) doesn't allow probation

6. randomhero24

randomhero24 Member

We have formal approval for the entire funding of both the land and the build. The land settlement is monday, and then drawdowns for build will happen soon after... i am paraphrasing my mortgage broker here but to my knowledge that's what is happening. According to him, the slab going down represents the point of no return for the bank in terms of any employment change causing any risk.

To answer your question, the formal approval is for the whole amount to pay for both.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AFM is simply a mortgage manager.

if there were to be an issue it would be with the funder ( probably adelaide bank od AFSH nominees.

With AFM being a sort of brokers brokers, you possibly have less risk than bank direct,

Id agree with the rest of the folks.

take a breath

ta
    rolf

8. Rolf Latham

land settlement is the first progress payment I assume .....................so should be fine

ta
    rolf

9. randomhero24

randomhero24 Member

Thanks. I think my broker is being cautious as he said this happened to one of his clients in the past. Not with AFM, but comm bank did a check and weren’t happy they had changed employers l and they lost the loan.

Along the same lines, if I wanted to get a phone on a plan etc which would cause a credit enquiry, would that damage anything after the settlement?
    Also, Adelaide Bank is the funding party.

10. Rolf Latham

18 years and a few billion in loans in our mentor group, havent had that happen............ cant say it wouldnt, just saying dem is smallish odds.

Go and grab your phone too

ta

rolf