Borrowing money from overseas relatives and FIRB

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by scientist, 30th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

If I borrow some money from an overseas relative, do I need to declare this to the FIRB? It's purely a loan, the overseas person is not gaining an interest in any property or security.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I can't see why you would.

If you are paying interest there are some tax issues to consider.

3. scientist

Fantastic thanks

I guess they are acquiring an unsecured debt interest over me, an Australian citizen, and the FIRB needs to have a sticky beak at it... good to know they don't.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It would just be considered gifted funds and the lender may request a stat dec as evidence.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

scientist states he is borrowing it so it can't be a gift

scientist and Colin Rice like this.
  6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

My bad, did not see that bit, cheers.

scientist likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. The FIRB is not concerned with loans. A loan is not an "investment". If the loan is enforceably convertible to equity interest over property or business etc it could still be a issue.

However tax witholding is a key element and some loans may also be a problem for 100% interest deductibility. Seek tax advice on how to make it all complying and the terms and accounting for the indebtedness etc should be given tax advice. A lack of supporting (legal) records concerning a loan and any interest basis could expose some problems. Then the loan may be considered a private transfer of funds. Of course then the source of these funds could become a laundering issue so the legal docs are important as they support the source and nature of the inflow of foreign funds.

craigc and scientist like this.
  8. scientist

lol sounds like a bag of d**ks. I guess I'll leave everything untouched for now and if something happens I'll make a document. Funds arrived in my CBA this morning. Thanks for the info everyone

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia