Borrowing from parents.

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by james515, 3rd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. james515

james515 Member

Hi

I am currently looking to buy a house. My parents are willing to lend me the full amount. My question is will a bank loan me the money down the track if I wish to pay my parents back .

Thanks

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

What will it cost?
    What do you earn?
    How long have you been in your job?
    Do you have dependents?
    Do you have any savings?
    How much are you going to borrow? At what rate?
    How much are your expenses?

Speak to a broker. You're asking such a wide question with no info - it's like me coming up to you, a totally random person on the street and asking "I want 'something'. Reckon I can buy it?"

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Assuming you have the borrowing power in the future, the banks would likely be able to do this. There has been some restrictions on lenders offering 'cash out' recently, but within reasonable parameters it is still possible.

I might be getting way off topic, but the question makes me wonder if there's other questions behind this. For example, what happens if the property becomes an investment in the future, will there be tax deductions available?

The answer to that depends on if the agreement with your parents is done properly. It's fairly easy to mess things up and miss out on future tax deductions in these circumstances.

If this property might become an investment in the future, then a better solution is likely to be to borrow the money from a bank now, then put your parents money in an offset account (hopefully fully offsetting the loan and thus no interest is paid). This would mean you could pay your parents back at any time and still have the loan available. There's also more chance of maintaining future tax deductibility if the property is an investment.

4. The.Night.King

The.Night.King Well-Known Member

depends, when you borrow in the future, do you satisfy the Bank's requirements for serviceability? Do you have a full time job to be granted the loan amount? what is your debt to income ratio ( DTI) The Bank will also require you to use the property to secure the loan.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We did this for our son and once he had a full time job, he refinanced to repay us. We did have to show the bank some details to prove he was repaying us, and not borrowing for some other reason. I can't recall the details. Bank was CBA.

My loan to our son was fully documented. His payments to us were fully documented.

craigc, Stoffo, Marg4000 and 2 others like this.
  6. james515

james515 Member

That's pretty much what we want to do.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have just refinanced one of these for a client. From parents to bank

8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm doing one of these at the moment. If u get a loan agreement drawn up between you and your parents it increases the number of lenders that will agree to the cash out down the track.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

To avoid possible future family problems, legally document everything, particularly if you have siblings.

The small legal costs will be well worthwhile.

10. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Yes