borrow against new purchase?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by CraigJ23, 17th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CraigJ23

CraigJ23 Well-Known Member

I am about to a buy a PPOR property, which is being paid for by a home loan and a $400K deposit. The home loan is probably close to the ceiling of my serviceability.

Is there any possibility that I will be able to borrow against the equity in the home, to buy an investment property? I imagine that I will need a 20% deposit in cash.

Is this possible in my circumstances, and would it be advisable?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

In that case you might be stuck, but you can use potential rental income and potentially get over the loan.
    The problem will be the deposit, which you may not have so you would need to borrow against the existing property - which might mean a refinance if you have hit the limit with them.

David_SYD likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If you are already at the servicing line with your lender, its unlikely you have the capacity to extract any equity since the rental income would need to be in the region of 10 % of the value of the IP to be self servicing

But we dont know much about your personal circumstances so relying on feedback from here is probably not the best idea

ta
    rolf

4. CraigJ23

CraigJ23 Well-Known Member

When you say 10% of the value of the IP, what do you mean? The annual rental income?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia