VIC Boronia or Ferntree gully

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rohitch, 18th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Suggest a suburb

1. Boronia

14.3%
  2. Ferntree gully

57.1%
  3. Heathmont

21.4%
  4. The Basin

7.1%
  5. Knoxfield

28.6%
  6. Upper ferntree gully

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rohitch

Rohitch Member

Hey everyone

I am now looking at buying a property (house/unit) in either boronia or ferntree gully as i could find properties that match my requirements (3-2-2, min 400sqm block) and under 640k.
    But I see mixed reviews regarding the suburbs. What do you guys think about Boronia and ferntree gully as PPOR and as an investment at a later stage.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rohitch

Rohitch Member

Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

3. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Both are fine if the location suits you. Just a bit far from the city by PT and drive thats all. Hard to find something that meets those requirements though and rental returns aren't great.

I placed an offer on a 3,1,1 brick house 550sqm+ on windermere dr ferntree gully in late 2017 for 650k as I saw alot of Chinese starting to shift down that way. That never eventuated (Chinese seem to have halted at scoresby/knox). Blessing in disguise as I ended up buying in rosebud.

Also saw some nice big blocks east of Boronia station some really nice streets there at the foothills of the dandenongs. Alot of tradies seem to live around those parts. Just need to be mindful of bushfire risks and possibly higher insurance premiums down the track.

For investment the upside is that one day the Chinese will continue to expand down that way. And at under 650k for a land locked area of Melbourne, it will be a pretty scarce property.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2020
    craigc and The Y-man like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Some of those places have pretty ferocious reputation, but stay near the rail is fine. If you are out that far, keep looking along the rail as far out as Belgrave I say, although if you want relatively flat ground it stops at FTG.

The Y-man

craigc likes this.