Entertainment & Music Books

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by samiam, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Fiction:
    Paulo Coelho, Gabriel Garcia Marques.
    A lot of their books are quite thought provoking.
    Most well known books would be The Alchemist, and One Hundred Years of Solitude, respectively.

Non-Fiction:
    David Bohm, Paulo Friere, Dr Joe Dispenza, Paul Lample.
    I struggle to get through their books, especially with Paul Lample (religious author).
    Every page makes me rethink my entire life.
    His books Creating a New Mind, and to an extent Revelation and Social Reality, really shook me from my sleep. It had me look at how to 'strive for excellence' from around 21.

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2018
    trinity168 likes this.
  2. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Years ago I read all the Irving Wallace books. My favourite was The Man which was about the first black American President. It was written in the 60s so way before its time.

3. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Halfway through reading "Insomniac City - New York, Oliver and Me" by Bill Hayes. Admittedly borrowed the book from the library just because of the title. I had no idea about Bill Hayes or Oliver Sacks. I only started reading last Friday and, pleasantly surprised as how I am enjoying the read. The relationship between Bill and O, on a different level, like two souls that perfectly complimented each other.

It is a beautifully written love story. Some of my favorite quotes from the book.

“I don’t so much fear death as I do wasting life.” Oliver Sacks”

“2-1-10:
    A languid Sunday, afternoon turned into evening, evening into night, night into morning.
    'I just want to enjoy your nextness and nearness,' O says.
    He puts his ear to my chest and listens to my heart and counts the beats.
    'Sixty-two,' he says with a satisfied smile, and I can't imagine anything more intimate.”
    ― Bill Hayes, Insomniac City: New York, Oliver, and Me

“One can be alive but half-asleep or half-noticing as the years fly, no matter how fully oxygenated the blood and brain or how steadily the heart beats. Fortunately, this is a reversible condition. One can learn to be alert to the extraordinary and press pause—to memorize moments of the everyday.”
    ― Bill Hayes, Insomniac City: New York, Oliver, and Me

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There are some books on Kindle which have narration available with purchase of the Kindle book. It's read in conjunction with the text, so that you can listen on your phone for a while, and switch to reading.

The cost is now quite reasonable, $3 to $5 for the books which have it available, a bit more for well know books or authors.

I've had to do a few long drives recently, and I've found them to be very good in relieving the tedium.

5. trinity168

On to the next one, lent to me by my colleague. Open by Andre Agassi - sort of my first biography (Insomiac City was sort of a biography). First couple of pages in and, quite surprised as to how the book is well articulated. It truly feels like Agassi is bringing you along his journey as he replays his mind, from the feeling of loneliness in centre court through to the roaring crowds of the tennis stadium.

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Accessory to War by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Avis Lang.

Only into the first three chapters. I'm finding it confronting to some extent the arguments Astrophysics and the aims of the military are intertwined.

7. trinity168

On to the next book, Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris - a survivors account of meeting the love of his life in the camp, in spite of the circumstances that surround them. Moving ... unreal, ...
    so many more stories left untold.

8. trinity168

During the break, finished
    (Aussie author - murder mystery)
    The Dry by Jane Harper
    Force of Nature by Jane Harper

The Price of Salt - Claire Morgan (Patricia Highsmith)

And, just a third of the way through Too Big to Fail by Andrew Sorkin - Inside the battle to save Wall Street. GFC related.

9. trinity168

@David Shih - some good book recommendations here, both fiction and non fiction, investment related, not investment related.

And, I finished "Too Big to Fail" the previous weekend, had a pause due to the Australian Open tennis as I am a massive fan.

Anyhow, back to the book - surprisingly gripping, I would have kept reading it (if not for tennis). The author had a knack for telling the inside story as if he was a fly on the wall in those board rooms. It shows how extravagant and foolish the mismanagement of funds, and how the big bosses turned a blind eye to it, all for the sake of big fat bonuses. And whilst the US boasts of being such a capitalist, with the bail-out to the tune of 700 billion. The debt has all been paid ... but does it remain a capitalist?

David Shih likes this.
  10. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I’ve just finished Judith Lucy’s Drink, Smoke, Pass Out,or similar, and a memoir, Missing Christopher, written by his Mum, and am half way through AA Gills Pour Me, A Life.

11. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Binge reading usually this time of the year
    Just finished “where the crawdads sing”
    Excellent read

12. trinity168

Just finished reading Viktor Frankls "Man's Search for Meaning". Felt like a fitting end to 2020 reads.

rizzle, Drifty and geoffw like this.
  13. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Incredible book on many different levels!

trinity168 likes this.
  14. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The movie was made in 2014. It's about a woman walking the Pacific Crest National Trail in the US.

It's just been released on Netflix, though not in Australia. It can be rented here, or viewed using a VPN.

16. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I like to read books but only after I have done all my exercises and I can get comfortable. I don’t think I would like to sit for hours reading.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.