Entertainment & Music Books

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by samiam, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Halfway to listening to "10% Happier" by Dan Harris. Very entertaining, good storytelling from the author. I did not really know anything about the book prior to listening to it so did not know what to expect. So far, enlightening and enjoyable.

bob shovel and Terry_w like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Are you 5% happier now?

This is on my list too.

trinity168 and House like this.
  3. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Just finished reading a couple of books that I saw somewhere Barack Obama had read in 2017, Exit West and The Power.
    Enjoyed both and found them quite thought provoking.

4. trinity168

LOL! Not sure about being 5% happier, but certainly entertained :D

5. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

After much insistence now for over a long period of time from my Wife. Last Sunday I finally cleaned out the bookshelves & the trolley drawer under the bed of books read & just gathering dust since.
    300 + I boxed up.
    Donated them to the Prison Library through a friend who is a Correctional Officer.

ShireBoy and Terry_w like this.
  6. trinity168

Read something a little different from my usual selection, "big little lies" by Liane Moriarty. Have to admit guessed all wrong as to who got murdered on school trivia night. Oh calamity!

7. Terry_w

I haven't read any fiction since I was in high school 80 years ago, but am going through 'red sparrow' on audiobook now and it is great - 17 hours though.

trinity168 likes this.
  8. trinity168

I was going to say, I don't remember the last time I read fiction, but, there was that audiobook Graveyard shift. So, 2 this year so far. Just changing it up a bit.

Is Red Sparrow the one made to a movie with Jennifer Lawrence?

9. Terry_w

Yes, loved the movie so much I bought the book.
    So far this year I have read 14 books - 13 audios and 1 physical.

trinity168 likes this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Winter reading material.
    1- On food and cooking the science and lore of the kitchen (Re-reading this one. One of my favorite reads ever. History,science,cooking,brewing...)
    2- GEB An Eternal Golden Braid (Very challenging read but an excellent book so far. Covers artificial intelligence, cognitive science, mathematics, programming, consciousness, linguistics, neuroscience, music, art, logic...)
    books.jpg

11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Called in to a second hand book store earlier this week and bought "A Fortunate Life" by Albert Facey. A story of his early life in WA, Gallipoli and after. A very good read. And sometimes we reckon we are doing it tough. An extremely resilient person I felt.

trinity168 likes this.
  12. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend some of their favourite fiction titles for a person who has predominantly read non fiction since leaving school? Anything that is thought provoking or changed your view on life?

13. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Anything by Nevil Shute, aeronautical engineer turned novelist. Most famous for 'A Town Like Alice' and 'On the Beach', but 'Trustee From the Toolroom' and 'The Far Country' (set in the Merrijig, Vic area) are my favourites.

miximitosis likes this.
  14. miximitosis

Thanks - I will check them out!

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's a huge question, one which is very difficult to answer. You probably don't even know yourself what you would enjoy. There are so many different genres, and such a huge range of titles in every different genre.

I'd be going to a library or a second hand bookshop. Or, if you like reading on a device, get the Kindle, Kobo or Google/Apple books apps.

Check out reviews on a book you're interested in on Goodreads.com. try different genres. Neville Schute as suggested - Australian classics which have been around for many years. Classics, science fiction, thrillers, fantasy, murder mystery, whatever. Start with short ones, just in case you don't like the genre.

Many older books are out of copyright and are available on gutenberg.com. Kindle has a daily list of specials, as does bookbub.com - get on their mailing lists. I find maybe there's something good every two or three weeks, for one or two dollars. Best selling authors sometimes come up for about $5 - I like John Grisham for legal dramas or Amanda Prowse for modern situational dramas, but those books are not often on special.

Sometimes a movie tie in can be good if you're not used to fiction - read the book a movie was based on.

Just a few ideas.

16. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, there are a number of politicians of numerous flavours who have released books in the last few years...

miximitosis likes this.
  17. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Have just finished 'On Air' by Mike Carlton, cost me $50 but a good read ...

18. miximitosis

Thanks for the response @geoffw.

You are right... I have no idea what I would like in a fiction book because it's been so long since I read one!

Thanks for the links and idea to check out the second hand book store.

geoffw likes this.
  19. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

I don’t even attempt to read books on a tablet. My favourite books are biographies/autobiograhies. The last one I read was Michael Willisee, it was a great read.

20. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I'm a huge reader.
    I break it up between investment, and fiction.
    I love dystopian everything, books, tv shows, movies.

I've just polished off the Broken Earth series in the first week of Oct.
    It was a slow work week, and I've been using Audible whilst I bike ride.

I'm about half-way through the entire Sherlock Holmes collection at the moment.
    Struggling to get through a pile of Dr Joe Dispenza, and David Bohm books atm.
    They're sitting on my bed-side table gathering dust.

Fav authors are Paulo Coelho, Terry Pratchett, and the collaborators at Wikipedia :p

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2018

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia