VIC Bond return - rental record / final inspection?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Satish N, 12th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Satish N

Satish N Member

Hi Guys,

I am handing back the keys tomorrow. It is my first time renting in Australia (VIC), and I didn't realise that I should have arranged a final inspection with my property manager before I returned the keys. Should I bring this up tomorrow when I return the keys, or just wait for the landlord to come back with the final report?

Furthermore, say if we both agreed that part of the bond was not to be returned (say if some needed for repairs etc), would this go on my 'tennancy record' that a part of the bond was not returned and affect my future rentals?

And should the property manager want to take out the repair cost out of the bond, is it possible for me to arrange my own tradie to fix up the mistake instead, so it doesn't affect my 'tenancy record'?

I have had a professional cleaner come in and clean so it all looks good to me with only fair wear and tear (some scuffs etc), but just asking this question in case my property manager is super picky :/

Cheers

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Most PM's prefer to do the final inspection without the tenant there anyway. You SHOULD get an opportunity to come back and make minor fixes, and you can request to organize your own trades. If they're on a tight time frame before new people move in they might be less flexible though, so just talk with them about it if anything comes up.

Technically new agents will ask if the bond is refunded in full and the agent can say there were minor agreed deductions, which isn't the end of the world, but many tenants prefer to pay for the costs and then get their full bond refunded. If you're worried, I'd recommend doing that.

George Theoharakos and wylie like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Take photos of everything before you leave as the PM will indicate the place has been left dusty, dirty, not vacuumed, shower grimey, benchtops/surfaces sticky, cobwebs, messy & exterior lawn/edges not mown, leaves etc.

If you don't have photos, the final clean never happened.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Satish N

Satish N Member

Thank you so much for your reply!
    So it won't appear on a 'tenancy record', but just by word of mouth (i.e a phone reference)?

The apartment was given originally slightly dirty (scuffs, some scratches, patched areas) - but these are definitely indicated on the condition report. Just thinking of a 'what if' situation ;)

I returned the keys today - would it be wise to mention in my email of cleaning to the agent and attach the receipt of the cleaning, as well as mention that the apartment was cleaned as per the condition report? Or is that not necessary?

5. Tom Rivera

Definitely include the receipt with your exit paperwork.

Your tenancy record IS 'word of mouth'. When you go looking for another place you'll put down your old agents details and they'll directly provide a written and/or verbal reference for you. That's when it would come up whether there were bond deductions, agreed or not, etc.

6. Satish N

Satish N Member

Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it.
    Sorry by exit paperwork, what should normally be included together? I returned the keys and he told me just to email it to him.

I am thinking of sending the property manager an email with the receipt, and including the line "The apartment was cleaned to the end of lease standard in line with the condition report signed on the XX/XX/2019.", would this be needed? As I have read online that this specific property manager is very picky on the cleanliness of the apartment, even though it was given in relatively poor condition.

7. Tom Rivera

@Lil Skater can give you a more specific answer as to the exact exit process and paperwork is in Victoria.

I cant' see why you couldn't send him that, though it's implied by the process already.

8. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

In Victoria we have 14 days to either refund the bond or apply for a deduction - this can be extended by application if things like negotiations are going back and forth or if there are trade delays for example when getting prices for damage.

Usually you'd just provide the receipt with the keys upon return, if you're not doing it in person but you're leaving the keys in the property for the property manager to pick up, just leave the receipt and keys where they have advised, take a photo and send it to them to confirm what you've done.

They shouldn't take too long to do the vacate inspection - though there's no set time frame for this other than dealing with the bond in the 14 day time frame. If you're concerned about anything, take photos or do a video walk through for yourself.

George Theoharakos likes this.
  9. George Theoharakos

George Theoharakos Member

Hey Satish,

Hope the agent has done the final inspection by now and contacted you with the outcome.
    If you agree for any deductions from your bond and worried that it may affect future tenancy applications, then pay it direct and receive a full bond refund.

As a property manager, I don't see an issue if applicants specify that they agreed for money to be deducted from their bond in order to bring the property back to it's original condition. I believe it shows they're upfront and cooperative.