Boglehead/Vanguard way to retire.

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by 2935, 7th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yep behavioural aspects complicate matters. I’d feel comfortable investing lump sums in gloomier times but tend to favour DCA otherwise.

I witnessed a couple of unlucky investors who through just bad luck (not greed) invested a very large lump sum not long prior to the GFC crash. I think investors underestimate the ugly impact such an event can have on them and even much more so especially if a planned retirement was not that many years away. Imagine the regret of having to work a number of years longer than planned! The regret will eat away at you.

DoggaPP, Ynot, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  2. tess_

tess_ Well-Known Member

I used to think this was the generally accepted method but read an interesting article re: the bond tent, food for thought

The Portfolio Size Effect And Optimal Equity Glidepaths

SLP07, Heinz57, Anne11 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes that article has received a lot of attention globally since it was published. I think it may have been mentioned in the Sequence of Returns Risk Thread?

The years closer to retirement and earlier years in retirement are a definate danger zone. Hence why in my previous post I mentioned the risk of lump summing a major amount into equities closer to retirement.

The larger one’s portfolio is the less the risk tends to be at a financial level but psychologically that’s a different matter.

DoggaPP, Wanttoretire, Ynot and 2 others like this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Ynot, sharon, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Already been done. Former hedge fund Mgr Lars Kroijer is a huge advocate for a single World Equity Index FUND / ETF available through Vanguard:

https://www.amazon.com/Investing-Demystified-Speculation-Sleepless-Financial/dp/0273781340

The best you can do in Australia is one of Vanguard Diversified ETFs. From an investors perspective they’re only a single fund:

https://api.vanguard.com/rs/gre/gls/stable/documents/11894/au

LeeM, Ynot and Gemvad like this.
  9. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

DoggaPP and Ynot like this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@Big Daddy

Hows this travelling now and how did your re-balncing strategy go

11. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Not sure if this managed fund by Blackrock has been mentioned on the forum before. I only discovered this today.

iSHARES ALL-COUNTRY EQUITY INDEX FUND

The Fund aims to match the performance of the MSCI AC World IMI Index (unhedged in Australian dollars with net dividends reinvested) before fees.

country-breakdown.png

Includes your developed and emerging markets in one fund. Management fee 0.4% so not entirely cheap. Australian domiciled which is a plus.

Link to fact sheet - here

More info on MSCI ACWI index - here

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2019
    Anne11 and Snowball like this.
  12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

It's going quite well as we keep regularly buying.
    I've dropped VAF and IEM (too expensive) and loaded up on VGS . I have a 70 International /30 Australia split.

My 6 year old son just has VAS and VGS in the same ratio. Need to keep brokerage and management fees down. No real need to add international property or emerging markets to the portfolio.

Ynot, Redwing, sharon and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ynot

Ynot Well-Known Member

Hi @Nodrog - where would RINC and DJRE fit into the above? You recently mentioned that you liked them

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I like the “real asset income” concept of RINC but not the active ETF itself. It could roughly be described as a mix of actively managed ASX listed property and infrastructure.

Evidence suggests that for local and global listed property / infrastructure indexing is likely to outperform active management of same.

DJRE is a cap weighted index ETF for listed Global Property and IFRA is an index ETF for Global Listed Infrastructure. I like both these as they offer “global” diversification but more of their return is through income distributions which suits our investing style, psychology and objectives. And an alternative income source unaffected by potential changes to franking credits. Shame their valuations are so high at present. Blame the Fed for putting the brakes on rising interest rates.

Zenith Chaos and Ynot like this.
  15. Ynot

Ynot Well-Known Member

Thank for comments @Nodrog. I like the concept of the Millner family Infrastructure / Property fund URB so threw a few dollars at it - but will wait and see how it actually performs over time.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  16. Ynot

Ynot Well-Known Member

BTW off topic but when I look at the info box of the right of this page titled "Members Online Now" it shows "Robots : 106". Have we been taken over by AI?

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Not a fan of URB personally.

number 5, Zenith Chaos and Ynot like this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

19. devank

devank Well-Known Member

That video was published about six years ago. He would have been 85+ in that interview.
    It is truly remarkable to witness his remarkable mental acuity and sharpness displayed throughout the interview. This could be a positive side effect of stock investing!

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Investment Wisdom From the ‘King of the Bogleheads’

98 years old and still going strong. Very inspirational.
    An important point other than his great contributions to simple index investing is:
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    Looks incredible at 98.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia