Body corp/strata responsibilities: do I have any?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TazCaz, 3rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TazCaz

TazCaz Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Have just bought a property that one of two on a strata plan. They are two separate houses, each with their own title (was a big block that had an original house and was divided to build another house). I will rent out my place at the front and the former owner of both will live in the back house. We have a shared driveway that runs up the side of my house and finishes in between the both houses where there are two visitor spots (one each falls under each of our titles). There is also some shared fencing running along the shared driveway with a small garden bed.

We are currently looking into insurance options (2 x building v strata) but I was just wondering if there is anything I need to consider in terms of it being on strata plan. There is no active corporate, no strata manager (as it was just the one guy owning both houses). We are both happy to look after our own places and just ensure the driveway is insured for liability and damage for the common property we share.

I am very new to dealing with strata, so I just want to make sure there's not something I've missed in terms of my/our responsibility for the strata side of things, particularly as my place will be tenanted. Or can we essentially just treat our homes as two separate places as if we were on our own block (so long as that driveway is insured).

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated! Don't assume any tip is too obvious as chances are I don't know.

Thanks in advance!